Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   several questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/several-questions-84411/)

rhessling 10-24-2011 03:41 AM

several questions

ok here it goes
i have several plecos just common ones they are in a 29 gallon with snails i breed and are around 2-4 inches i bought them one for each of my tanks to get rid off alge i then noticed them getting really skkinny and moved them to the 29 gallon so they could be feed good i now move them to the other tanks when the tanks are full of alge and then back to the 29 once ther job is done.

i had one in my oscars 75 gallon that was 4 inches and it started sucking,rasping.or biteing my flat head and syodinis in there so i removed it as a result of the biting the other to cats have sence died is this normal? is ther a way to stop it? also since the cats in the oscar tank have died could i move all the plecos in to this tank with the oscars with out fear of them getting chewed on.

i also have a 6 inch sail fin pleco in my 55 egypt tank and he is forever hiding i put peas and alge waffers in the hidding spot so i know he is getting food is there any way to get him to come out more when he was little he was always out at feeding time and he became a tank favorite now ill i see of him is his tail pokeing out the back of his hideing place is tank mates include 3 parrotchiclids 3 ranibow fish 3 clown loaches and a segal bicher

my other question is i have several tanks and would like to know what kind of cats would go good with each this is a list of the tanks

55 gallon cold water gold fish tank
3 10 gallon tropical platy tanks
55 gallon tropical live bearer commuity tank
10 gallon fry tank for live bearers
75 gallon oscar tank

rhessling 10-24-2011 03:42 AM

i sorry for the spelling errors i also for got to mention i was given a little albino pleco of some kind its not evenand inch long yet i have no clue were to put him i have him in a qt tank i also just relized that plecos need wood to eat? is this true

1077 10-24-2011 04:20 AM

Would return all of the common plecos, or find new homes for them for they grow very large, and contribute more waste to the aquarium than any benefit they may provide with respect to eating algae.
More waste in the aquarium means larger more frequent water changes to dilute/remove the waste from the pleco's alone.Not considered good cleaner fish for this reason.
if fish has developed a taste for slime coating of other fishes,,even more reason to re-home it/them.
If my heart was set on a pleco that does a very good job on algae and stay's relatively small, I might consider the Bristlenose Pleco.
Wood for bristlenose pleco's is needed to help with digestive process and is less critical with common pleco's but both would appreciate wood formations to rest,hide,near.
Catfish for community tank would be corydoras were it me, and perhaps Synodontis petricola,or Synodontis Multipunctatus for tanks holding cichliids depending on size of tankmates, and or tank size.
Goes without saying that all tanks should have healthy biological filter,zero levels of ammonia and nitrites, and considerable water movement for Large messy fish such as Oscar's and or Pleco's.
Weekly water change of 50 percent, or perhaps twice weekly as fishes get larger.

rhessling 10-24-2011 07:32 AM

my oscar tank i think has an over kill on the filter as it was made for a 150 gallon i had that cracked when when moved so it in a 75 creates a pretty good water flow need less to say there the only fish my liveing room and there my babies i was thinking that i would may be like to get a 6 line cat or two for the oscar tank i have lava rock in there that has created 6 good size little caves i my put lace syodonis back in there to the oscars dont botter them if they hide acctive fish are eatten

i think the albino for the friend is a bristlenose because thats the only albinos i have seen are lfs carry

as for the cory cats would any kind work i have three albinos already could i put panda cories in a cold water tank with my gold fish.

would the wood with all the little holes in it that is used for reptiles and hermit crabs work i think it is accually cactus i for get the name i have pices for my shrimp and snail tank

1077 10-24-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhessling (Post 873101)
my oscar tank i think has an over kill on the filter as it was made for a 150 gallon i had that cracked when when moved so it in a 75 creates a pretty good water flow need less to say there the only fish my liveing room and there my babies i was thinking that i would may be like to get a 6 line cat or two for the oscar tank i have lava rock in there that has created 6 good size little caves i my put lace syodonis back in there to the oscars dont botter them if they hide acctive fish are eatten

i think the albino for the friend is a bristlenose because thats the only albinos i have seen are lfs carry

as for the cory cats would any kind work i have three albinos already could i put panda cories in a cold water tank with my gold fish.

would the wood with all the little holes in it that is used for reptiles and hermit crabs work i think it is accually cactus i for get the name i have pices for my shrimp and snail tank

Cory's would be fine down to 72 degree's F. and I would increase the number of albino cory's to five or six in 55 gallon down to 30 gallons.
Lava rock is too rough for loaches ,cory's ,pleco's who can scrape raw places on their belly's and open up their chances of getting bacterial infections on raw places.
Would maybe go to lawn and grden store, or landscaping store, and search out smooth river stones rather than lava rock.
Am not familiar with wood you mention, but I have used malaysian driftwood which sinks quickly and or mopani wood.
Would give all wood a good rinse and or boil it if it's small enough to fit in stock pot before using.

rhessling 10-24-2011 08:18 AM

well i could see that with the rock the lfs person said it was the kind of rock that goes in most chiclid tanks to create all the nooks and crannies him i wonder it this is why my fish were getting hurt not the pleco

any anways ill be getting rid of the but i just cant seem to part with the sail fin ill probley move him in with the oscars

the cactus wood i was talking about isCholla cactus

rhessling 10-24-2011 08:19 AM

is there a good alge eatting fish out there then because i cant put snaild in with my clown loches

1077 10-24-2011 08:33 AM

Best over all algae eater in pleco family is bristlenose, but would need to be adult if placed in tank with Oscar's which could eat smaller fish.
If algae is problematic, then reducing the lighting period to six or eight hours could help, along with cleaning the glass with algae scraper or clean paper towel folded into fourth's.
Algae eater's are helpful, but best to try and discover what is causing problem algae to be rid of it.
I keep pleco's just cause I like them. This means large frequent water changes,(50 percent twice a week)not overfeeding,and keeping filters clean so that waste from these fishes does not cause water quality issues.

mikebike 10-25-2011 11:00 AM

Hello,
Yes the cactus wood with the holes in it is great for Plecos.

I was fortunate enough to have an old 3 ft piece which I cut into 6" pieces.
I put a couple in my 75 gallon and the others in various tanks that have Plecos.

I feed my Plecos and Cories Spurilina pellets.
Cheers
Mike in South Surrey BC

wannalearn 10-25-2011 04:09 PM

soffii. start by creating your own post, not trying to hijack someone elses... becides we would need alot more info than just "what fish to get"..