Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Moving Fish: 3 days across country (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/moving-fish-3-days-across-country-84373/)

puppyrjjkm 10-23-2011 05:47 PM

Moving Fish: 3 days across country

In the next 6 months we will be moving across country. It will take 3 days to drive and we intend to take all our fish! I can bore you with the huge stocking list but for now it looks like about 50 fish size ranging from neon tetra to adult size angelfish. We are looking at following this method: Moving Your Tropical Fish, Goldfish, and Aquarium.

Does anyone have advice to help with this process? I am thinking we will need a tank setup at the new house ready when we arrive, since the fish's actual tanks won't be there yet... I know this is small but would a 36 gallon tank suffice for a week tops? (These fish are spread between a 55, 29,10, and 5 gallon tanks currently). Should the 36 have gravel in it? (It would be new gravel...) But the travel buckets will have decor and floating plants to hide in during the trip. Nights at the hotel we would put in an airstone and heater overnight...

For buckets, should large fish go in one and small in another? or mix? How many buckets with this many fish?

Any and all advice is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

GwenInNM 10-23-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm (Post 872333)
In the next 6 months we will be moving across country. It will take 3 days to drive and we intend to take all our fish! I can bore you with the huge stocking list but for now it looks like about 50 fish size ranging from neon tetra to adult size angelfish. We are looking at following this method: Moving Your Tropical Fish, Goldfish, and Aquarium.

Does anyone have advice to help with this process? I am thinking we will need a tank setup at the new house ready when we arrive, since the fish's actual tanks won't be there yet... I know this is small but would a 36 gallon tank suffice for a week tops? (These fish are spread between a 55, 29,10, and 5 gallon tanks currently). Should the 36 have gravel in it? (It would be new gravel...) But the travel buckets will have decor and floating plants to hide in during the trip. Nights at the hotel we would put in an airstone and heater overnight...

For buckets, should large fish go in one and small in another? or mix? How many buckets with this many fish?

Any and all advice is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Wow, wow, does that sound like a feat to do that move! So many people find it "to difficult" to move with a dog - wow, they should read what you're going to attempt. I have no clue how to help, I'm sure someone will. I wish you and the fish the best of luck on this move.

puppyrjjkm 10-24-2011 10:26 PM

No kidding! Haha thanks though.

1077 10-25-2011 08:43 AM

I might consider a galvanized stock tank of around 40 gallons with drain feature.
Would provide constant aeration with perhaps battery operated air pumps such as those used by fisherman to aerate bait bucket's (Walmart).
Might place blanket's,sleeping bags, or other type of insulation around the tub while in transit and would drain some water every day and add some fresh dechlorinated water of room temp.
Considering your climate,I suspect providing heat, or preventing loss of too much of same will be the problem depending on species. The one larger tub will prevent fluctuations from happening as quickly as in smaller container's/ bucket's
Can alway's use the galvanized tub later for outdoor pond in warmer month's.;-)