Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Glow-lights problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/glow-lights-problem-8431/)

gus6464 09-23-2007 10:24 PM

Glow-lights problem

Last week I got 5 Glow-lights for my 10G tank and yesterday I noticed that one of them has his top fin bitten off. I know it has to have been another tetra as my panda cory's all hang out at the very bottom and my betta hangs out at the top of the tank. I also noticed that the injured one always hangs out alone while the other 4 are together.

How do I solve this problem? Should I add more glow-lights to get an even number (8 or so)? Also how should I treat the injured tetra so that he can grow his fin back.

fish_4_all 09-24-2007 12:04 AM

Don't count out the betta nor the cories. I have seen fins nipped by both. I had a betta in with my cories and one day the betta was completely ripped apart and did not have a single fin left. The only trace was in the cories cave. Bettas are also known to be fin nippers if it feels like the other fish are in his territory. At night the betta simply has an advantage because the other fish may slow down or the betta sits and waits for one to swim by and takes a bite.

As long as the fin doesn't start to discolor you shouldn't have to treat it.

gus6464 09-24-2007 01:19 AM

Well he has a white spot where his fin used to be. Does that count as discoloration?

The only reason I think it was one of the other tetras is because the injured one hangs out all by himself most of the time. I was thinking he might be scared of the other ones.

Falina 09-24-2007 09:38 AM

Plenty of partial water changes will help him heal. Keeping the water in the ebst condition possible is the key.

You can also add melafix but add it at 1/5 of the recommended dose because bettas are sensitive to it. You can buy bettafix which is basically the same thing but watered down so it's suitable for bettas. This IMHO is a waste of money. Just use melafix at 1/5 of the dose. As long as there is no infection however, the water changes and good water conditions are plenty for him to heal pretty quickly.

gus6464 09-24-2007 12:20 PM

What about the aggression problem towards the lonely tetra? Should I add 3 more to have 8 total?

fish_4_all 09-24-2007 12:30 PM

I am not sure that more will sovle the aggression. It might but it might make it worse. It is fairly normal for an injured animal to hide when injured and for the other animals to a little more aggresive toward them. Survival of the fittest as they say.

Lupin 09-25-2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus6464
What about the aggression problem towards the lonely tetra? Should I add 3 more to have 8 total?

Provide more hiding places instead.