Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Please Critique My Feeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/please-critique-my-feeding-84231/)

SomeDudeAtHome 10-21-2011 06:13 PM

Please Critique My Feeding

So I have 7 Salt and pepper cories in a 5 gallon. I feed a mixture of frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, crushed tropical fish flakes, crushed veggie flakes and the occasional algae wafer at night. I obviously don't feed all of them at the same time but always do brine shrimp or blood worms mixed with one of the two flakes. I put them in a little measuring cup like the kind you get with cough medicine and wait for it all to drop to the bottom so it goes straight down when I put it in. Is there anything I should be doing different or might be forgetting? This is my first time having cories so I don't want to make a mistake that could cost lives.

Boredomb 10-21-2011 06:20 PM

Umm well the only thing I can say is I wouldn't feed the bloodworms and brine shrimp more then a couple times a week. Brine shrimp have no nutrition value and the bloodworms are high in proteins. Most people feed these as "treats" or more often to help with breeding. I thing I have saw this may be incorrect through.

zof 10-21-2011 06:41 PM

Yup boredomb is right there leave the worms and shrimp as treats, the best I can really critique you on is not to over feed, you are way over stocked for a 5 gallon tank so you need to make sure not to create to heavy of a bio load by over feeding. Also I would just feed the mixture of flakes or the algae wafer but not both, you will be surprised and how little food fish actually need.

Also look at getting a bigger tank, 7 corys in a 5 gallon is very cramped.

SomeDudeAtHome 10-21-2011 07:32 PM

Alright thanks guys I will only do the bloodworms every once in a while.

Zof, the cories I have are one of the dwarf species getting to 1" max and none of them are that big yet. If you still think that's overstocked though let me know I thought this would be ok.

Anyway I will cut back on the feeding a little bit to make sure it's not too much. I just wanted to make sure I was giving them all enough since they have to scavenge for it.

Boredomb 10-21-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeDudeAtHome (Post 870621)
Alright thanks guys I will only do the bloodworms every once in a while.

Zof, the cories I have are one of the dwarf species getting to 1" max and none of them are that big yet. If you still think that's overstocked though let me know I thought this would be ok.

Anyway I will cut back on the feeding a little bit to make sure it's not too much. I just wanted to make sure I was giving them all enough since they have to scavenge for it.

With the the way you are feeding now how are you water parameters? That will be the biggest indicator as they will spike if you overfeed and especially in a small. If all us good in that aspect I would continue to feed as you are just cut back in the bloodworms and brine shrimp as noted and keep an eye on the parameters.

SomeDudeAtHome 10-21-2011 07:45 PM

The parameters have been fine the past couple days. I've been trying to check on a fairly regular basis since this is all fairly new. I know it sounds like I'm feeding them a ton but I'm only taking a tiny pinch of each food. I was just doing that for a variety while making sure it wasn't more than they needed but I will definitely cut back on the blood worms and brine shrimp and make sure it's only a treat for them.

zof 10-21-2011 09:35 PM

I didn't realize they were a dwarf species but even still its a little cramped for my standards but I've never kept these before so I will defer to someone that has. I think the key is your weekly nitrate readings to determine stocking capacity and to help with the feeding amount.

Byron 10-25-2011 02:17 PM

I assume the species is Corydoras habrosus, it is one of the dwarfs. One thing, it does better with a sand substrate, this does seem to matter with this species.

I agree with others on foods. [Interestingly, my C. habrosus don't really go for bloodworms.] You might want to look into sinking foods rather than flakes, it is a bit easier and tidier. Cory get very used to feeding from pellets, tablets and disks, and there is such a wholesome variety of sinking foods make by Hikari and Omega One, and presumably New Life Spectrum [haven't seen this locally]. To see a group of these spotted cory circled around a tablet and feeding is cute.

Byron.

SomeDudeAtHome 10-25-2011 08:50 PM

Ya Byron they are C. Habrosus. Mine seem to like the bloodworms but don't care for the brine shrimp at all. I do have Hikaris algae wafers but but figured they should be getting some meat in their diet which is why I'm feeding the flakes too. I'll check out my LFS for some other sinking tablets I'm sure they'll have some. Anyway, I love these little guys having never had cories before they're a lot of fun to watch.