Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Needing to change filter, advice? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/needing-change-filter-advice-84217/)

Limeylemon 10-21-2011 01:43 PM

Needing to change filter, advice?

My elite stingray 15 filter has well and truly had it, its power has been going for about a month or 2 now, and it has been making a very loud grinding noise, getting worse. There is nothing inside the motor making this noise i have had it to bits several times on the hunt, it is old, and slightly too weak for my tank... SO new filter time.
I have my hopes set on a Fluval u2 or u3 dependant on the price i can get but.... HOW do i change from an old filter to a new one without messing up the biological stuffs that has grown in this current filter?
Could i run my old one and new one together for a week or so, then move some sponge or something into the new filter and remove the old one? Suggestions?

zof 10-21-2011 02:33 PM

Just move the filter material from one to the other, along with that and the bacteria in the tank it self you should be fine. After a week or two start replacing some of the old filter material with new material if desired. All should be fine as long as you move as much as possible over, just keep and eye out for a mini cycle.

Limeylemon 10-21-2011 03:20 PM

Ok thanks should be easy enough, i had myself preparing for a full re-cycle!

Pufferfish22 10-21-2011 03:41 PM

Every time I've had to change a filter I've always run 2 together in my tank for a few weeks which has always worked well and never disturbed my biological load, I think just running the 2 together for 1 week probably isn't long enough for the bacteria to build up, I was advised to run 2 together for at least 1 mont, and infact I now run 2 in my tank all the time so if one ever goes down I've still got the bioload on the other x

Limeylemon 10-21-2011 03:47 PM

I think with the fact the grinding noise is starting to get on my last nerve and the tank is in my bedroom i'll try zoffs idea :) quieter the better! And media from old tank, does that mean basically anything? Like i could use the sponge, or does it have to be the carbon stuff?

zof 10-21-2011 06:30 PM

It has to be the media that was used in the old filter that the water ran through, if its a carbon pad then use this, if theres also a sponge then use that too, if it doesn't fit then cut it down, if cutting it down leads to carbon coming out then throw it in a media bag so the bacteria can still do their job and filter the water. Just fyi in a healthy tank carbon is not really needed so if you want skip the carbon from now on and just use filter floss or other bio material that will work fine and will be cheaper.

Key is to remember that beneficial bacterial colonize "hard" surfaces, not the water so you will lose some of the bacteria by replacing the filter out as some of them were colonizing the walls of the filter, but compared to your bio media material this should be insignificant if you just make sure to get all the actually filter material into the new filter, until your new filter material has time to be colonized by the bacteria.

Mikaila31 10-21-2011 08:07 PM

yep the goal it to get the media in your old filter into the new filter by whatever means possible.