Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Fish behaving badly (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/fish-behaving-badly-8419/)

sally_11 09-23-2007 11:11 AM

Fish behaving badly

Since my last posts reporting fishy dying each day things have calmed down. I lost 3 fish which was 50% of my tank.

Following that my black molly got white spot which I managed to catch in time but I feel like i am back to the start as I had to change 80% water after treating them with Protazol.

Now i am concerned about my remaining fish. since adding them to the tank the 2 females have always swam around together and they have let my black male tag along. However for the last 2 days my silver molly(Female) has started being aggresive to the others my other female and my black male molly hides all day to get away from her.

Any ideas whats going on? Could she just be having a bad day? :?

Also (Sorry to bombard you) She is getting bigger each day and when i bought them my orange molly was the smallest now its my black on, and I have to feed my black one seperatly (started from today) as he eats very slowly and doesnt get enough food.

he was the largest but now he is being butted out of food time whats happening?

fish_4_all 09-23-2007 11:35 AM

It is pretty typical for livebearers to have size competitions. The largets one will dominate the tank. I see this with my males more than anything but I have a ratio of 4:1 females to males so they compete for the females and the females stay docile for the most part even though there is sometimes the tussle between females. I think as long as there is no disease evident it could be normal behavior.

sally_11 09-23-2007 11:44 AM

Fish behaving badly

Thank you i was only concerned because this was not like them but i will keep my eyes peeled for any signs of illness.

With the size of my tank being so small I did what alot of us do and followed a bit or crumby advice and got 6 mollies. 3 died due to bad water but i have settled things down and i am getting ontop of the amonias and so on.

my tank is nearly a month old and withing the next few months (Not to rush and to make sure i do my home work and get the right "tools") i am setting up a marine tank which i have been told my mollys will live in fine. What other fish could i have that are ok in freash water and marine?

Fat_Fender_40 09-24-2007 07:33 PM

I don't think mollies can live in salt water tank. Specific Gravity being 1.023 to 1.025 which I believe most marine tanks are at. Other members will know that a lot better than I.

I don't think that there is a fish that can live in both marine and fresh water. that's where "brackish" tanks come in, other fish can not tolerate neither fresh or marine tanks.

Lupin 09-25-2007 01:17 AM

Your threads have been merged.:)