Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Getting my feet wet again

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  KenC1 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm getting back into fishkeeping after taking several years off. I have an unused 55 gallon tank that I plan on using as a freshwater community tank but right now I'm just starting up a 5 gallon hex tank that I'll just stock with a Betta, some Ghost Shrimp, and maybe a couple of snails, I like live plants so I'm going to concentrate on learning more about them.
This is a great website and I only wish I could have had access to this much info when I started my first tank: it would have saved me money but more importantly the frustration, time, and loss of fish.

#2 ·
Hi radar,

Welcome to TFK :wave: and welcome back to the hobby or addiction as I like to call it :)

I also wish I had know about this site before I set up my 45 gal. hex tank about 3-1/2 years ago.

It was stocked with fish that were so unsuited to that type of tank it isn't even funny. Luckily I found this site after a bit and was able to keep the fish alive until I set up my 75 gallon community tank.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: radar363
#3 ·
Hi! Welcome! I'm pretty new here myself, with a similar story. There's lotsa very helpful, smart cookies around here. Great community!

Also, wanted to say that some people don't have the best luck with the betta + shrimp combo. I personally had my betta attack and eat the shrimp I tried to put with him. But I guess some people have been able to make this work. So just a heads-up, and a hearty welcome!

#4 ·
Welcome to TFK!

#5 ·
Thanks for the welcome. My son rescued a snapping turtle from the roadside and we are nursing it back to health and have it in a nice setup (filter, heater, UV light) and I bought 10 Ghost Shrimp as feeders and so far he's only eaten 4 so I was going to transfer the survivors to the 10 gallon tank. They started out as feeders so I won't be upset if the Betta uses them that way.
I'm also raising meal worms for the turtle; being a single Father is so much fun...

#7 ·
LOL Yes, I can only imagine... :)

That's one high maintenance turtle! I would just by turtle food or something, because I don't think I could stand watching things get eaten. Well, maybe a cricket. Maybe.

#10 ·
I hope you can convince him to release it. Snappers get massive and nasty! We have loads of them around here in the spring and I've seen them a few feet long not including the tail.

#11 ·
We plan on doing that in the Spring. Right now it's only a couple of inches long but he is aware of the potential size and temperament . I grew up in GA so I've seen them take ducklings from the surface of my Uncles lake. I didn't learn how to swim in that lake.

#14 ·
Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping, radar. Nice to have you with us.

Byron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.