Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Getting my feet wet again (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/getting-my-feet-wet-again-84188/)

radar363 10-21-2011 07:32 AM

Getting my feet wet again
 
Hi,
I'm getting back into fishkeeping after taking several years off. I have an unused 55 gallon tank that I plan on using as a freshwater community tank but right now I'm just starting up a 5 gallon hex tank that I'll just stock with a Betta, some Ghost Shrimp, and maybe a couple of snails, I like live plants so I'm going to concentrate on learning more about them.
This is a great website and I only wish I could have had access to this much info when I started my first tank: it would have saved me money but more importantly the frustration, time, and loss of fish.

Romad 10-21-2011 07:58 AM

Hi radar,

Welcome to TFK :wave: and welcome back to the hobby or addiction as I like to call it :)

I also wish I had know about this site before I set up my 45 gal. hex tank about 3-1/2 years ago.

It was stocked with fish that were so unsuited to that type of tank it isn't even funny. Luckily I found this site after a bit and was able to keep the fish alive until I set up my 75 gallon community tank.

Good luck and keep us posted.

MinaMinaMina 10-21-2011 08:40 AM

Hi! Welcome! I'm pretty new here myself, with a similar story. There's lotsa very helpful, smart cookies around here. Great community!

Also, wanted to say that some people don't have the best luck with the betta + shrimp combo. I personally had my betta attack and eat the shrimp I tried to put with him. But I guess some people have been able to make this work. So just a heads-up, and a hearty welcome!

BobtheSnail 10-21-2011 08:43 AM

Welcome to TFK!

radar363 10-21-2011 08:54 AM

Thanks for the welcome. My son rescued a snapping turtle from the roadside and we are nursing it back to health and have it in a nice setup (filter, heater, UV light) and I bought 10 Ghost Shrimp as feeders and so far he's only eaten 4 so I was going to transfer the survivors to the 10 gallon tank. They started out as feeders so I won't be upset if the Betta uses them that way.
I'm also raising meal worms for the turtle; being a single Father is so much fun...

Boredomb 10-21-2011 10:24 AM

Hi Radar welcome to Tropical fish keeping!

BobtheSnail 10-21-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radar363 (Post 869954)
Thanks for the welcome. My son rescued a snapping turtle from the roadside and we are nursing it back to health and have it in a nice setup (filter, heater, UV light) and I bought 10 Ghost Shrimp as feeders and so far he's only eaten 4 so I was going to transfer the survivors to the 10 gallon tank. They started out as feeders so I won't be upset if the Betta uses them that way.
I'm also raising meal worms for the turtle; being a single Father is so much fun...

LOL Yes, I can only imagine... :)

That's one high maintenance turtle! I would just by turtle food or something, because I don't think I could stand watching things get eaten. Well, maybe a cricket. Maybe.

radar363 10-21-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobtheSnail (Post 870031)
LOL Yes, I can only imagine... :)

That's one high maintenance turtle! I would just by turtle food or something, because I don't think I could stand watching things get eaten. Well, maybe a cricket. Maybe.

I tried to get him to take it back to the area and release it but the weather started getting colder and he thought it wouldn't survive (you'd think he was 6 and not 16). I do feed it Aquatic Turtle food but wanted to vary it's diet a little. It takes the worms in with one swallow so it's not hard to watch- it's actually creepier to stand in the laundry room with the lights out and listen to the mealies crawling around.

BobtheSnail 10-21-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radar363 (Post 870105)
I tried to get him to take it back to the area and release it but the weather started getting colder and he thought it wouldn't survive (you'd think he was 6 and not 16). I do feed it Aquatic Turtle food but wanted to vary it's diet a little. It takes the worms in with one swallow so it's not hard to watch- it's actually creepier to stand in the laundry room with the lights out and listen to the mealies crawling around.

Eew! You can hear them? I never thought about that... I babysit for a family who raises their own worms, but that's for fishing- which may be more disgusting. Thankfully, they keep them in their unfinished basement, so I don't have to hear them... yuck!

Romad 10-21-2011 01:33 PM

I hope you can convince him to release it. Snappers get massive and nasty! We have loads of them around here in the spring and I've seen them a few feet long not including the tail.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2