Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   I need suggestions for filtration (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-need-suggestions-filtration-84151/)

newby 10-20-2011 05:24 PM

I need suggestions for filtration

I am possibly going to set up a 30 gallon. I would like feedback on filtration. I do NOT want any noise or alot of water movement. Any advise on what would be the BEST low keep filtration is appreciated.

Lynxinater 10-20-2011 05:37 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Cascade%C2%AE-...9150180&sr=8-7 I like these, they're not too overly priced, they're completely silent and they work insanely well.

Byron 10-20-2011 07:12 PM

The filter linked by Linxinater is the sort I am also thinking would work. For a 30g, a sponge filter works very well and has minimal flow. But air pumps can be noisy. So a small internal filter that is basically a motor and sponge is the way to go. I've not tried the linked filter, but from what I can see it seems the same sort of thing. I believe Fluval also make one.

Byron.

AbbeysDad 10-20-2011 09:44 PM

I recommend an AquaClear 30 HOB that incorporates sponge as well as bio-max ceramic media (carbon included, but optional). It has adjustable flow and you can also easily fashion a water bottle baffle to further control return flow. Approx 22$ USD.

I'm not a fan of submersible filters unless there is no other way. I was recently in a surgical waiting room where there was a 120g tank. It was beautifully aquascaped with wood and plants on a 3-4" natural gravel substrate. (I'm guessing professionally done.) Unfortunately, the tank was a partial room divider, with one end against a wall. Instead of running hoses in the wall to a canister or sump below, they used two submersible filters on the one end (along with a heater). Making things worse, the suction cups had released one of the filters so it was just hanging out towards the center of the tank. The filters totally diminished the natural affect they worked so hard to create.

Lynxinater 10-20-2011 11:31 PM

If you hide them, it's not really that big of a deal imo and they're easily hidden enough, esp if you have plants.

Mikaila31 10-20-2011 11:50 PM

Yeah I prefer submersibles/internals over HOBs. Both have drawbacks since no filter is perfect, just depends what matters most to you. I personally don't like HOBs at all. My 4 year old fluval 2 has worked very well and is completely silent unless there is some air stuck in it.

AbbeysDad 10-21-2011 08:59 AM

I don't care much for cartridge HOB's unless they also have sponge or other bio-media but the AquaClear's are versatile 3-stage, reliable and more cost effective (AC 30 @ $22) than either the referenced submersible ($32) power sponge filter or the most inexpensive Fluval canister (Fluval 105 @ $75). The only thing more cost effective is the bubble-up sponge filter or the UGF.
I would not recommend a canister filter (or a sump) for a small (under 55g) tank.

In the end, they all work, but none as good as the best water treatment - the 50% WWC ;-)

:-)

Mikaila31 10-21-2011 12:27 PM

A brand new AC HOB was the first and only HOB I've used personally. I've done maintenance on a few tanks with the cartridge HOBs before. My main issue with the AC I had was it was noisy. I fiddled with it for about a week but its noise was about on the same level as a air driven filter, which is way too loud for me. I fixate on a lot of sounds when I'm trying to go to sleep. So all 3 tanks in my bedroom are near perfectly silent. The fan on laptop is louder then all of them lol. My rena XP3 is about 2 feet away from the head of my bed. It makes a little noise, but its very continuous. If it was irregular or rhythmic it would bother the %#&& out of me. I usually stick strictly to internals except on large tanks. I use power driven sponge filters for the most part. Its so easy to find used UGF powerheads and stick a sponge on them.

Lynxinater 10-21-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 870131)
A brand new AC HOB was the first and only HOB I've used personally. I've done maintenance on a few tanks with the cartridge HOBs before. My main issue with the AC I had was it was noisy. I fiddled with it for about a week but its noise was about on the same level as a air driven filter, which is way too loud for me. I fixate on a lot of sounds when I'm trying to go to sleep. So all 3 tanks in my bedroom are near perfectly silent. The fan on laptop is louder then all of them lol. My rena XP3 is about 2 feet away from the head of my bed. It makes a little noise, but its very continuous. If it was irregular or rhythmic it would bother the %#&& out of me. I usually stick strictly to internals except on large tanks. I use power driven sponge filters for the most part. Its so easy to find used UGF powerheads and stick a sponge on them.

Yeah I agree, the only HOB filters I have are AC as well, and they do get annoying. Esp if you happen to not have time to do the water change and the water level drops at all, that waterfall noise drove me slowly insane.

Romad 10-21-2011 01:36 PM

That's funny because I have an AC in my bedroom and it is silent. But the water level is always topped off so maybe that's why.