Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   GBR spawn (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/gbr-spawn-84145/)

lorax84 10-20-2011 04:05 PM

GBR spawn

So I got home from work last night and found that my GBRs had spawned for the first time. The female has been ready to go for a while, but the male took a few months to mature. When I woke up this morning it looked as though about 1/2 the eggs had been eaten, of what was left about 1/2 had turned white. So, I have a few questions:

1. Are the white eggs infertile?
2. I am assuming the parents ate the eggs, is there any way to prevent this or do they just learn on their own?
3. Now that they have spawned can I expect spawns regularly?
4. If I do have any surviving fry what do I feed them?

Answers to any or all of these questions are appreciated. Oh and my tank is a 20H, heavily planted, 7.6ph, the only other tank inhabitants a 6 Cardinal Tetras, and a large number (50-100) of Cherry Shrimp.

GwenInNM 10-21-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 869029)
So I got home from work last night and found that my GBRs had spawned for the first time. The female has been ready to go for a while, but the male took a few months to mature. When I woke up this morning it looked as though about 1/2 the eggs had been eaten, of what was left about 1/2 had turned white. So, I have a few questions:

1. Are the white eggs infertile?
2. I am assuming the parents ate the eggs, is there any way to prevent this or do they just learn on their own?
3. Now that they have spawned can I expect spawns regularly?
4. If I do have any surviving fry what do I feed them?

Answers to any or all of these questions are appreciated. Oh and my tank is a 20H, heavily planted, 7.6ph, the only other tank inhabitants a 6 Cardinal Tetras, and a large number (50-100) of Cherry Shrimp.

I'm jumping in, cause I want to learn too. Mine also just spawned, days ago, but the eggs were gone in 2 days. Yes, white apparently means not fertile. Many fish or hungry snails will eat eggs, but I've heard here, that often with newly spawning pairs, they do eat them :(
I also have Cardinals with mine. I hear fry can usually manage the baby brime shrimp just fine. Perhaps even egg yolk for protein, but no clue about that - see if others have feedback on cooked egg yolk. I hope I can one day get mine to hatch. Once they spawn, they will spawn again (heard that here).

Gwen

lorax84 10-21-2011 05:52 PM

I ended up actually seeing my rams eating the eggs, so I know it is them who go em. All of them were gone after a day so I'll just wait until next spawn and see what happens. I've bread shell dwellers before but this is my first time with any other dwarf cichlid. If anyone has any answers to my questions above I would love to hear.