Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   CO2 for planted tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/co2-planted-tank-841/)

dahcmed 10-12-2006 09:43 AM

CO2 for planted tank

Need advise. Is CO2 really a necessity to keep the plants healthy? Not sure if the organic carbon thingy is available here in phils. Anyways, I currently have 3 plants (amazon, one with like the pines :), the other one a red one) - sorry don't know the names, and am planning to put in 3 more in the background, 3 in mid, and a few hairgrass in front, all in a 15g.
I saw some diy CO2, and was wondering if I really need all that. Will of course do this after the tank has cycled, and will of course get those Ph testers.

Lupin 10-12-2006 09:50 AM

Hi Dahcmed.:wave:

Sorry about not discussing on CO2 but I'll give you a warning on those plant suppliers. Some lfs tend to sell those "pine" plants which in fact, aren't true aquatic plants, but terrestial plants.

I had them 4 years ago and started rotting in a few months. I was puzzled why that plant is not in my aquarium books until I realized I had been ripped off my cash for fake aquatic plants.

This is just a warning so you won't waste money unnecessarily.:)

If you live in Manila, I'd forget the Cartimar in Pasay. Not worth it especially when the animals sold there are not of good quality. Rather they are mostly susceptible to illnesses. The plants they sell vary widely but I'd be more careful with the plants I try to select.:)

Oh and neither do I use CO2.:wink2: My Nymphaea stellata is still growing like crazy. No ferts and CO2. Just a daylight tube of 6200 kelvins.

Amphitrite 10-12-2006 09:52 AM

Hi dahcmed, if I were you I would wait and see how the plants do without Co2. I have two fairly heavily planted tanks and have never used anything except for plant fertiliser. :)

dahcmed 10-12-2006 10:12 AM

Thanks for the advise.

I really thought those pine plants are aquatic, they have a bunch of them displayed in Cartimar. Some people will sell anything to make money :(

Glad to know CO2 is not a necessity. I really want to have a heavily planted tank but without additional equipments hanging. :)

Hey Blue, where do you get your stuff. I'm from Cavite, and I couldn't find a decent shop here or haven't found it yet, so I drive all the way to Cartimar to buy my stuff. I've been through several shops and they don't even have those test kits.

Lupin 10-12-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahcmed
Hey Blue, where do you get your stuff. I'm from Cavite, and I couldn't find a decent shop here or haven't found it yet, so I drive all the way to Cartimar to buy my stuff. I've been through several shops and they don't even have those test kits.

I live in Iloilo so I can't help you further on which lfs to shop with.

As for the plants from Cartimar, shops there are unscrupulous. I'm not surprised either that the UK citizens have problems with buying Dracaena plants in their lfs unknown of its true identity.:dunno:
If you want to buy more plants, pls research first on that before attempting to buy them. A lot of lfs will obviously not bat an eyelid to help you out. They will instead proceed to get plastic bags and get the plants you want.

Believe me, dahcmed, one lfs in Cartimar tried to sold me 20 sick neons when I request to get some in the other tank which isn't under disease outbreak. The ladies there insisted that those are "healthy". I had to argue with them and left their shop in haste as I can't take the argument anymore.:roll:

dahcmed 10-12-2006 10:29 AM

Ok. Thanks. I guess I have to settle with the pricey BioR*** shop, better sure than ripped :x

I'm pulling that plant out tomorrow when I get home from the office, it's just using my CO2 "unnecessarily" :)

Thanks a lot for the warning!

Lupin 10-12-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahcmed
Ok. Thanks. I guess I have to settle with the pricey BioR*** shop, better sure than ripped :x

I'm pulling that plant out tomorrow when I get home from the office, it's just using my CO2 "unnecessarily" :)

Thanks a lot for the warning!

You're welcome, dahcmed.:)
Would love to see the pic of your red plant. Sounds like Nymphaea stellata or Rotala macrandra to me.:)

Amphitrite 10-12-2006 10:33 AM

dahcmed, I'm aware that you will not be able to order from this website as it is uk based, but this is where I get all of my plants.

I'm giving you the link because it has a plant catalogue which may help give you an idea of the sort of thing you are looking for.

Hope it helps :)

http://www.aquaticplants.eu.com/index.html

dahcmed 10-12-2006 10:39 AM

Well, I googled the names you just wrote :), and it's closer to rotala, but not really. I think it's another fake :(. It's not doing good either, actually it wasn't doing good when I got it, but it was the only red I saw :D, I'd probably pull it out as well. Now, down to 1, I'm sure this one really looks like an amazon sword :)

dahcmed 10-12-2006 10:41 AM

Thanks Katherine! Been looking for a good site for pics reference.