Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   fish hiding and swimming strange (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/fish-hiding-swimming-strange-84098/)

magoolie 10-20-2011 05:26 AM

fish hiding and swimming strange

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH lvl 7.0
moderately hard water
med lvl planted 55g tank

tank completed cycle

2 balloon mollies staying in the top corners of tank, they doo come down too feed but then go straight back,

1 dwarf gourami shimmering as it swims and is @ a strange angle when trying too swim, slight loss of apitite

rest of the fish are acting normal and are feeding

any idea's on what is wrong would be huge help as im quite new too hobbie

BobtheSnail 10-20-2011 08:46 AM

I'm no expert but I think the mollies are just doin' their thing in the corner of the tank. In other words, that's probably just their favorite spot, so they claimed that territory for themselves. If they were, like, trying to get oxygen (putting their mouths up at the surface of the water or slightly above it, swallowing and repeating), then you'd have a problem.

As for the Gourami, does he look bloated? Is he scratching up against things, even for a second? If not, have you noticed any other strange behavior or something off in his appearance?

magoolie 10-20-2011 09:08 AM

no he doesnt look bloated or doesnt have any torn fins marks or white spots on him, he just seems too be struggling too stay up , he seems too be angles up towards the surface and is constant swimming, he has rubbed a few times of the stones in the tank but very few times

BobtheSnail 10-20-2011 11:17 AM

Hmm... I don't know, then. That pretty much rules out ich (for now). I had a fish die last week and he was doing that, except he didn't eat anything. The white spots didn't show up until the day before he died, so you might want to keep an eye on him.

Sorry if I just freaked you out there! He probably won't die, my fish was very weak and had gotten it before I got him.

Anyway, while you're waiting for an expert to come along, you'll probably just want to watch him closely and do a water change, which I'm told can't hurt anything. Good luck!

magoolie 10-21-2011 04:29 AM

i took him too my local fish trader and he noticed that his fins were very slighty torn and has given me medicine, he thinks another fish has niped him and caused his fin to become infected and has given me meds too treat him, ty for your help and sorry i didt spot this myself and wasted your time , ty

BobtheSnail 10-21-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magoolie (Post 869880)
i took him too my local fish trader and he noticed that his fins were very slighty torn and has given me medicine, he thinks another fish has niped him and caused his fin to become infected and has given me meds too treat him, ty for your help and sorry i didt spot this myself and wasted your time , ty

No prob, glad you found out what it was!! :)