Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Adding new filter intake/outtake, leave old lines till the new colonize? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/adding-new-filter-intake-outtake-leave-84066/)

djrodan 10-19-2011 07:06 PM

Adding new filter intake/outtake, leave old lines till the new colonize?

I have a 45g tank with about 14 fish. It's a relatively new tank, and about 4 weeks in. I haven't seen any spikes but keep it safe by checking my water every other day.

Currently I have a penn-plax 1000 canister filter. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a premade intake / outtake/trickle bar setup so I decided to make my own. In the meantime, I've had the 3/4in hoses simply propped into the tank, with a safety net on the intake so no fish get sucked in. I just finished building my new piping and I'm very proud of it, I think it came out well (I'll post a pic of them).

My dilemma now is hooking them up. There was quite a lot of extra 3/4in hose, about 6 feet of hose for a 3 foot distance. I can imagine that there is a considerable amount of bacteria in those hoses. My logic suggests that I don't want to just cut them down to size and install my new bacteria-less piping, inciting spice in something.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I think I'm going to just attach the super-long hose to the new piping and wait to trim it for a few weeks until new bacteria colonizes the new piping. Will this then put stress on my filter by having to pump like 8 feet of water in and out of the unnecessarily long hoses and then into the tank?

Romad 10-19-2011 08:26 PM

Good question as I have to replace my disgusting hoses as well.

It's my belief that the filter medium should house most of the beneficial bacteria and that it wouldn't be a problem but lets wait for people who have done this to chime in.

Welcome to TFK :wave:

iamgray 10-19-2011 09:13 PM

If it was my tank, I wouldn't worry about the hoses. I would just go ahead and cut them to the proper length, trusting that sufficient amounts of bacteria would be present in the filter media, substrate, and on the decor; plus, my tank is fairly heavily planted. But that's just what I WOULD do... I have never actually encountered that scenario with my own tank.

AbbeysDad 10-19-2011 09:16 PM

+2 what s/he said :-)

djrodan 10-20-2011 09:12 AM

I ended up exaggerating the length of the hoses. I was able to put in the new fittings with only trimming a few inches. Theyre still a little kinky when the heated water runs through them, so I think I'm going to replace them anyway with the tubing that has the mesh wire reinforcements. I still have to upload my pics!
Posted via Mobile Device