Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   new/used tank - cleaning out left over water/chlorine scum (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/new-used-tank-cleaning-out-left-84028/)

bradleyheathhays 10-19-2011 11:54 AM

new/used tank - cleaning out left over water/chlorine scum

Hi there! Just got my first tank and it's a 125 gal! Previous owner had a turtle in it and filled it with a 10% bleach solution before he sold it to me to eliminate any pathogens that might pass from turtles to fish. Right now the tank is empty and has a thin whitish scum on it's sides and more on it's bottom that tends to rub off with a finger swipe.

I'm not sure what this is but I need to get it out of there before I fill it for fish. Assuming it may be some chlorine what cleaner should I use to clean it? Guy that sold it to me said not to use any hard core household cleaners, so I'm not sure where I should start.

I'm all ears. Thanks!

Romad 10-19-2011 12:23 PM

Hello and welcome to TFK. That's a pretty awesome tank to start out with :shock:

The white film is usually calcium and limescale deposits. Try using some white vinegar and a soft cloth to remove it.

And since there's been bleach used in the tank, rinse rinse rinse a whole bunch after cleaning and then rinse another few times with dechlorinated water (using water conditioner like Prime).

Good luck with your setup. Have your read about cycling your tank?

KendraMc 10-19-2011 12:24 PM

i'd start with clean water. hot water might be easier than cold, i don't know. if it comes off on your finger, take a clean wet rag or something and wipe it down, then probably spray it down with water if you can and wipe it out again.

SaltwaterTaylor14 10-19-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays (Post 867502)
Hi there! Just got my first tank and it's a 125 gal! Previous owner had a turtle in it and filled it with a 10% bleach solution before he sold it to me to eliminate any pathogens that might pass from turtles to fish. Right now the tank is empty and has a thin whitish scum on it's sides and more on it's bottom that tends to rub off with a finger swipe.

I'm not sure what this is but I need to get it out of there before I fill it for fish. Assuming it may be some chlorine what cleaner should I use to clean it? Guy that sold it to me said not to use any hard core household cleaners, so I'm not sure where I should start.

I'm all ears. Thanks!

You are very fortunate to start off with that size of a tank! are you going to do a FW or SW. Also like the others said be careful with the bleach! rinse it out until you cant rinse no more ;)

bearwithfish 10-19-2011 02:40 PM

i know a lot of people who have used bleach and here is what has worked for them...

fill with water (you need to water test any way) add in 10x (yes TEN times) the recommended declorinator let it sit for a few days (3+)

drain rinse and scrubbbbbbbbbbbbbb

if you still have the residue on the glass vinegar is the best choice... or a good razor and a lot of time LOL...

bradleyheathhays 10-22-2011 06:11 AM

From the looks of all the inputs I've gotten here and other places, it looks like I should possibly razor the scum off first, and then I should scrub down the tank using specifically white vinegar (and not cider vinegar) using either a green scrubbie or a soft cloth. I'm left wondering if the green scrubbie I've read mentioned is the 3M type that's part of the one piece yellow sponge / green scrub cleaning tool. If you were doing this to your own glass tank, what scrub implement would you advise?

And then after the scrubbing I should fill with a triple dose of Prime dechlorinator and let sit for a day, and then rinse very well and then let air dry for two days.

All this seem straight forward and logical to me. If you might see anything that could be added to this protocol please let me know and I'll do it.

Last thing is that a couple folks have asked me if I've read about cycling your tank. I haven't, but I'd like to read anything I can on it. If anyone can point me in the right direction on reading about cycling I'd be happy to look at anything I can on it.

Thanks

Romad 10-22-2011 06:53 AM

I'd try removing what you can with white vinegar and a cloth but if you can't take it off with that, they sell blue scrubby pads for glass and white pads for acrylic at chain stores or just about any fish store. They won't scratch the surface.

If that doesn't work, then you'll prolly have to try razoring it off. As for rinsing, you don't have to fill it with water and let it sit, just rinse it really really well with tap water and then rinse it really well with dechlorinated water (only because the previous owner had bleach in there). The only reason I can think of to fill it and let it sit is to test for leaks.

As for cycling your tank, you can go to the Freshwater Aquarium sub forum on the main page of TFK and read all about starting up your tank. Here's the link for cycling. Happy reading :)

Edit: As Pasfur pointed out below, you might be looking for cycling saltwater which is very different. I'm leaving the freshwater link here just in case but please ignore it if you're going salty.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

Pasfur 10-22-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays (Post 870943)
From the looks of all the inputs I've gotten here and other places, it looks like I should possibly razor the scum off first, and then I should scrub down the tank using specifically white vinegar (and not cider vinegar) using either a green scrubbie or a soft cloth.

This logic sounds backwards to me. I'd use the white vinegar first, to loosen the calcium deposits. Then scrub. A whole lot easier. ;-)

Quote:

Last thing is that a couple folks have asked me if I've read about cycling your tank. I haven't, but I'd like to read anything I can on it. If anyone can point me in the right direction on reading about cycling I'd be happy to look at anything I can on it.
Thanks
Is this going to be a freshwater or saltwater tank? The process of cycling is very different between the two.

Romad 10-22-2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 870948)
This logic sounds backwards to me. I'd use the white vinegar first, to loosen the calcium deposits. Then scrub. A whole lot easier. ;-)

Is this going to be a freshwater or saltwater tank? The process of cycling is very different between the two.

Doh! Good point Pasfur. I had freshwater on the brain :roll:.

SeaHorse 10-22-2011 07:28 AM

I'm going to chime in here... always the cautionary note in the bunch.... where are you going to put this monster tank that we are all envious of right now...?
You know that water weighs 10lbs a gallon approx, and adding tank weight, stand, gravel, etc etc, you need to be putting this tank on a basement floor, concrete floor if it's an apt, and/or on the outer wall of your home across the span of floor joists and not along the length of one or two joists? right?
We are talking over 1250 to 1500 lbs give or take in a 6 x 2 foot span. :shock:
Did I mention we are envious?

We're gonna need pics once it's set up... or one's along your journey.

And welcome to TFK!
What are you going to put in this tank?