Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Sand and Cloudy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/sand-cloudy-84025/)

cstoute 10-19-2011 11:45 AM

Sand and Cloudy

I have a 125g tank and for month I cannot get it clear! The water condition is great! I was told that with sand it would never get clear! I have pool sand or silca sand! with my 55g It was always clear but I used gravel. If you have any suggestion before I go back to gravvel please share, would like to stay with sand it is so beautiful. running a rena filstar X4 if this can help.

Thanks Chris!

SaltwaterTaylor14 10-19-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstoute (Post 867491)
I have a 125g tank and for month I cannot get it clear! The water condition is great! I was told that with sand it would never get clear! I have pool sand or silca sand! with my 55g It was always clear but I used gravel. If you have any suggestion before I go back to gravvel please share, would like to stay with sand it is so beautiful. running a rena filstar X4 if this can help.

Thanks Chris!

Due to your tank size being so big, it will take a while for the sand to finally settle. Just give it some more time to settle it eventually will.

cstoute 10-19-2011 11:58 AM

How long approximatley will it take I have had it for over 6 months so far!

bigfish93 10-19-2011 12:05 PM

If you thoroughly washed the sand before you put it in your tank, then it should not be cloudy for that long, no matter how big the tank. Pool filter sand is known to be very clean, unlike play sand so this is a very unusual case. The cloudy water could be a bacterial bloom, rather than sand after you made the switch. Although I don't think the bacterial blooms last that long. Try doing a couple water changes a week until you notice signs of it clearing up.

Byron 10-19-2011 01:04 PM

For over 6 months, I would suggest the cloudiness is much more likely bacterial, not from the sand. I have had this condition. The solution is not always easy, as so many factors are involved.

How cloudy is it? Can you post a photo?

Byron.

SaltwaterTaylor14 10-19-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 867559)
For over 6 months, I would suggest the cloudiness is much more likely bacterial, not from the sand. I have had this condition. The solution is not always easy, as so many factors are involved.

How cloudy is it? Can you post a photo?

Byron.

I would also agree that you should have put the substrate into buckets and washed it a few times first. I would suggest frequent water changes.

cstoute 10-21-2011 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks! I will remove the sand and wash it some more then try the water change see what happen.

1077 10-21-2011 09:48 AM

Before I removed all of the sand to rinse again,, I might remove all rocks and decor to see if this helps.
Some rocks or pot's such as the one in photo can leech substances into water, glazing or paint can come off.
Fish in photo appears to be Jaguar cichlid? they will stir sand up quite a bit and might also contribute to cloudy condition's by rooting through sand and kicking up bit's of sand and or organic material in the process.
I might consider a sponge prefilter ove the intake of filter to prevent sand from finding it's way into impeller assembly.

cstoute 10-21-2011 10:01 AM

Thanks! Will do