Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Need advice/help... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/need-advice-help-83974/)

Only One Haze 10-18-2011 08:03 PM

Need advice/help...

Ok...so I am about to be getting a 30 or 33 gallon tank and stand. I want to try planting this tankl. My mother in law has a goldfish in a 5 gallon and I want to give her my 10 gallon that I am currently using. She only has an internal pump/filter and that is not going to be enough for the 10 gallon. Before I thought about giving her my 10 gallon I was going to use the current filter on it to use in the 30/33. It is a Penguin 100B so I know I would need to add to it anyway.

Here is my dilemma...
- do I just get a bigger filter (or two smaller ones?) for my 30/33 and add plants and not worry about another cycle and give her my current filter?

-Do I give her the filter and just get an appropriate size sponge filter/air pump (can someone point me to a good one)? Again adding plants to not worry about the cycling again.

- Buy her an appropriate filter and let her use the media in her current filter (if there is any) and gravel to seed the 10 while keeping my filter and adding a second to get the appropriate filtration in my tank?

Okay, I think that is all for now. Please let me now if there is something I am missing.

O...I plan on keeping some/most of my current gravel to seed my new tank as well.

TL1000RSquid 10-18-2011 10:47 PM

You still need to cycle even if your adding plants.. If you want to quick cycle, run your current filter with the old media in the new tank along with your new filter. I'd recommend an AquaClear 50. If you don't plan on having a quarantine or hospital tank then I'd give her your filter once your done with it.

Only One Haze 10-19-2011 03:29 PM

That much flow wouldnt be too much for the plants/fish? The fish in my sig will be moved to this tank and add more.

And as luck would have it, her goldfish died today. So I will hang on to all my equipment to seed the new tank. Will be going from natural gravel to play sand.

What are everyones thoughts on sponge filters? Thanks again everyone!

TL1000RSquid 10-19-2011 04:31 PM

Not to much flow, the AquaClears have an adjustable flow as well, but I've run a AC50 on a 10g before, on my 29 gallon I'm currently running an AC50 and an AC20 both running at full blast with 2 platys, some neons and guppies. Always better to have to much filtration then not enough and running a filter meant for 30 gallons on a 30g tank barely cuts it.

Sponge filters are good I've never run them in anything bigger then a 10g though, I use them mostly for fry tanks and shrimp tanks.

I run sand in all my tanks as well, be sure when your working on the bottom to shut off your filters don't want any strired up sand getting sucked into them.

Byron 10-20-2011 09:04 PM

First, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Glad to have you join us.

A good sponge filter will be sufficient for a 30g (I have an Elite dual sponge on my 29g), especially with live plants [good idea:-D]. The Elite duals are good, or the Hydro spong rated for a 30g. Playsand is a good substrate, I now have it in 3 tanks. You only want about 2 inches depth across the tank.

Byron.

Only One Haze 10-20-2011 11:23 PM

Thanks Byron. What would be a good air pump/powerhead to use for the Elite duals? And where did you get yours? I saw some on drsfostersmith that look similar to the one you have posted before but wasnt sure if it was the Elite or not. Thanks for the help and welcoming.

Byron 10-21-2011 12:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Only One Haze (Post 869655)
Thanks Byron. What would be a good air pump/powerhead to use for the Elite duals? And where did you get yours? I saw some on drsfostersmith that look similar to the one you have posted before but wasnt sure if it was the Elite or not. Thanks for the help and welcoming.

I have Elite air pumps, one of which has been with me for years. Not exactly quiet, so if noise is a concern (like in a bedroom) the Whisper might be better; I've not had a Whisper so no idea just how "quiet" is it.

Elite dual sponges are what I have in my 20g and 29g tanks. Photo below. There is also the Hydro, I have one of these in a 10g. Both in my view are very good filters.

Only One Haze 10-21-2011 09:41 PM

Would a single Elite double sponge be okay for a 4' 33long? Also, do you think an AquaClear 70 would create too much flow? I can get one for a good price.

TL1000RSquid 10-22-2011 02:28 AM

The AC's have adjustable flow, I've run a 110 on my 40 breeder, even on full flow as long as I kept the water level all the way up the current from it wasn't bad, maybe to much for a betta but ok for most all fish.

Byron 10-22-2011 12:39 PM

You're intending live plants, so I would stay with a sponge filter. And for a 3-foot a dual Elite will be fine. Another option is an internal filter that is basically a motor and sponge, Fluval I belive make these. This is useful if noise is an issue, as they are quieter than most air pumps which you need for the Elite or Hydro.

I am not a fan of HOB filters in planted tanks. And I have used them, back in the 1980's. No longer my choice.