Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Emergency!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/emergency-8394/)

fry1goat 09-21-2007 05:30 PM

Emergency!!

Hello,
I just got myself a 46 gallon tank from a yardsale. I have a couple of questions. I may have just put my fish in harms way. Alright here goes. The tank that i purchased was once a salt water tank. I used gravil that came with this tank. This sank smells odd now. instead of regurlar stone, its crushed shells. Im wondering if maybe there is still enough salt in the shells to cause death to my fish? Right now in the new tank i have my green spotted puffer, a baby red tail catfish, and a couple of mollies. Please let me know. I have not seen any unhealthy signs yet, but then again they have only been in for about an hour.

Falina 09-21-2007 05:51 PM

What kind of smell?

Mollies do well with a bit of salt, though it isn't necessary, so I wouldn't worry about them with regards to the salt.

The puffer should be in a tank on his own or with other puffers only. They are very agressive and in time will nip and kill all your other fish I'm afraid. Many puffer species are brackish water also though so the salt may not harm him.

You should rehome your RTC. They grow to 6ft and are only suitable for massive pond, or a public aquarium of 3000 gallons maybe.

In any case almost all fish can tolerate a small amount of salt in the water so I wouldn't worry about that. Your biggest issues are your fish not being compatable and identifying what kind of smell it is. What are your water parameters? When a tank is going through the nitrogen cycle it can often smell.

Hope it works out for you.

fry1goat 09-21-2007 06:08 PM

IT SMELLS LIKE A POOL

The smell is kinda like a hot tub. almost a clorine smell. I have not added any clorine, because it kills fish. I did add those clorine removal tabs though. maybe that is what im smelling. Will RTC survice with salty water?

fry1goat 09-21-2007 06:31 PM

WOULD A RTC LIVE IN AN OHIO POND? OR DO YOU THINK IT WOULD DIE ?

Falina 09-21-2007 06:32 PM

Catfish are, in general, less tolerant to salt than other fish.

My guess however is that the levels of salt are really small as I assume you rinsed outthe greavel before using it, and did you cycle the tank? In the 3-12 weeks it takes to cycle a lot of the salt will have disipated anyway.

fry1goat 09-21-2007 07:06 PM

I did not clean the gravel. I did not know until later on that the stone had been used in a salt water tank. The fish have been in for 2 hrs how and they still seem to be doing great. This gravil had been sitting for a year. Did not even think to ask the lady what type of fish they had.

Falina 09-21-2007 07:27 PM

Did you cycle the tank? And what are your water parameters?

Lupin 09-21-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fry1goat
WOULD A RTC LIVE IN AN OHIO POND? OR DO YOU THINK IT WOULD DIE ?

Does this mean you're thinking of releasing the fish? Because I do not consider this as appropriate. By releasing the fish in the wild, you risk putting the native flora and fauna in danger. Either the RTC thrives and tries to demolish everyone or the natives themselves contract diseases that can be found only in captivity but not in the wild. Releasing a fish from captivity in the wild is against the law. You introduce a fish less native in a habitat with no natural predators and disastrous consequences are a result.

Either you perform a euthanasia on that fish or return it to the lfs with credit or no credit. Period.

fry1goat 09-21-2007 09:42 PM

was thinking of relasing him into my parents pond. My parents pond mainly a chanel cat pond.

Gump 09-21-2007 10:10 PM

Put bluntly never release a hobby fish into open water way regardless of if its a native fish or not. Once it goes into your fish tank thats it.

This hobby having enough trouble and situations like this doesn't help it one bit.