Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Silly question?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/silly-question-8390/)

jeaninel 09-21-2007 01:11 PM

Silly question??

I'm not sure if this makes any difference but thought I'd ask.

I am going to be setting up a new 55 gallon this weekend. I am going to use the existing Whisper 60 filter (as well as add a new Penguin 350), gravel and decor (fakes plant, rocks) from an established 20 gallon. I would like to put the old gravel down and then add more new gravel. Does it matter to the bacteria in the gravel whether it's on the bottom or top? For aesthetic reasons I'd like the newer gravel on top.

Gump 09-21-2007 01:20 PM

Shouldn't be a problem.

JouteiMike 09-21-2007 04:37 PM

Ditto.

JouteiMike 09-21-2007 05:29 PM

Hmm...the more I think about it, the more I tend to think it might be better to mix it a little, but I may be wrong. It just seems like the mature gravel may be "trapped" underneath the sterile gravel..and the bacteria may die off due to lack of contact with much water. Seems like if it mixed it would have a easy time spreading colonies to the newer gravel. Eh, I may talking out my arse, but just my opinion. In the end it'll be all mixed together anyway after vacuuming it....

mgamer20o0 09-23-2007 01:35 AM

just put the old gravel is a bag and let it sit. you might not even need the old gravel. moving the filters over should keep the new tank cycled.

willow 09-23-2007 01:56 AM

hi
can i ask why you're keeping the old gravel
if you don't really want it,is it because of the
bactiera ?
if so then to be honest,the main amount will be in the
filter anyways,and if you like you could always
put some old gravel in some tights (pantiehoses ?)
and place it somewhere out of sight until
you are comfortable that you new filter
has it's own colany.
:)

xingumike 09-23-2007 03:09 AM

Agreed, unless you are using UGF (which i don't see why anyone would anyway) then the vast majority of the bacteria will be housed in the old filter.

I would just use the filter and all new gravel, the amount on the gravel and decor will be minimal, only use those if you actually want them in your tank for aesthetics.

mgamer20o0 09-23-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xingumike
Agreed, unless you are using UGF (which i don't see why anyone would anyway) then the vast majority of the bacteria will be housed in the old filter.

I would just use the filter and all new gravel, the amount on the gravel and decor will be minimal, only use those if you actually want them in your tank for aesthetics.

if someone switches out their gravel there is a good chance for a mini cycle..... that reason alone i think people under rate how much bacteria is on the gravel.

Andyandsue 09-23-2007 06:51 PM

I agree- using the old filter and decorations (don't rinse them), with some of the old gravel in pantyhose (and maybe even mixed in) should do the trick.

I would test the water daily for the first few weeks anyway just to be sure you don't go into a mini-cycle.[/list]

jeaninel 09-24-2007 12:42 AM

Yup, that's what I did. I just set the tank up today. I used new gravel with just a few handfuls of the old mixed in. I used the old filter and media. I also put a stocking filled with the old gravel in the filter. I'll be keeping a close eye on the water parameters.