Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Pygmy Cory help? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/pygmy-cory-help-83703/)

xJennax 10-15-2011 08:41 PM

Pygmy Cory help?

Hi, today I went to my LFS to get some white cloud minnows for my 5 gallon I plan to add a betta to later. The WCM were in a tank with pygmy cories, and one of them got caught in the net with the WCM and into the bag, so they let me keep him for free.
Will he be ok in my tank? I read that they need the tank to have been cycled for months, and mine hasn't been cycled for that long. I don't know much about what to feed him either.
Also, will he get along with my betta when I add him? Or will that be too many fish? I know I'm already pushing it with WCM and the betta in such a small tank, so should I take him back?
Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks!
~Jenna

chevysoldier 10-15-2011 10:35 PM

Pygmies are a smaller Cory Cat. I have one Albino Cory in with three Angels. Cories are peaceful, and mine is, but he really bosses the Angels around. If he wants the algae wafer, he'll knock the angel out of the way to take it.

I don't know if the Betta would be such a pushover as my Angels are. Maybe someone will know better than I. Good luck.

Byron 10-16-2011 12:25 PM

The real problem is that corys must be kept in a group, and the pygmy (dwarf) species are especially social. If you like the fish and want them, get at least another 6 or 7. In smaller groups this species will not last. You can read more in our profile, click on Corydoras pygmaeus. For feeding, sinking foods are needed; pellets, disks, tablets.

However, you have other issues with your stocking. A Betta is not a good community fish, and I would not keep him with white clouds. The latter require cool water, room temperature at most; again, check the profile info, click White Cloud Mountain Minnow. The Betta might also consider them food.

trombonedemon 10-16-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 863681)
The real problem is that corys must be kept in a group, and the pygmy (dwarf) species are especially social. If you like the fish and want them, get at least another 6 or 7. In smaller groups this species will not last. You can read more in our profile, click on Corydoras pygmaeus. For feeding, sinking foods are needed; pellets, disks, tablets.

However, you have other issues with your stocking. A Betta is not a good community fish, and I would not keep him with white clouds. The latter require cool water, room temperature at most; again, check the profile info, click White Cloud Mountain Minnow. The Betta might also consider them food.

Bettas are cool with species of fish that do not have long fins, in spite of that, Bettas just need lots of room and more room so that others can get out of the Bettas way. Bettas gotta bum rap from the orient putting the Bettas in little spaces so they can fight:-(:-(.

Fun fact, my Corys have not schooled completely yet (4) My Molly's sometimes school, rarely though (5) go figure.