Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   gourami's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/gouramis-8370/)

fishies1018 09-20-2007 11:26 AM

gourami's

hi all! i currently have 6 gourami's (gold, blue, giant, paradise, dwarf and sunset). things are going very well. the gold is a bit fiesty but nothing too serious. the giant that i have is small and doesnt look like any other giants i have seen because i have heard they get about 12'' long, and it said at the store they get only about 3''. could it not be a giant? any advice people have about gourami's is always welcome, i'm knew at this! thank you!

Gump 09-20-2007 02:29 PM

Giants will get to two feet with out problem given proper care. If you have a picture that would be great for an id. Also look up kissing gourami.

chayse 09-20-2007 04:17 PM

Keep an eye on your blue. Those guys frequently get more aggressive with age. Mine killed my platinum, opaline and gold before I managed to move him. Hopefully, you'll have better luck with yours. :)

fishies1018 09-20-2007 08:08 PM

i will try and get a picture when i can. my camera doesnt work too well. i really want to know what he is.

tophat665 09-20-2007 08:29 PM

I've noticed that Petsmart is selling Colisa fasciata as a "Giant Gourami", which is pretty ludicrous until you stop to think that they are comparing them to Colisa lalia - Dwarf Gouramis. So what you have is probably either a Banded Gourami (C. fasciata) or a Thick Lipped Gourami (C. labiosa). Either gets about 4", and they're pretty similar looking. Both good community fish.

What everyone here calls a giant gourami is a whole 'nother kettle (and it would be a big kettle) o' fish indeed. Osphronemus goramy - 28" long. Beautiful, if you have a 300 gallon tank.

Lupin 09-20-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
I've noticed that Petsmart is selling Colisa fasciata as a "Giant Gourami", which is pretty ludicrous until you stop to think that they are comparing them to Colisa lalia - Dwarf Gouramis. So what you have is probably either a Banded Gourami (C. fasciata) or a Thick Lipped Gourami (C. labiosa). Either gets about 4", and they're pretty similar looking. Both good community fish.

What everyone here calls a giant gourami is a whole 'nother kettle (and it would be a big kettle) o' fish indeed. Osphronemus goramy - 28" long. Beautiful, if you have a 300 gallon tank.

Ditto that. I always say common names are often useless.:sarcastic: I've seen similar confusions in other forums as well.8)

fishies1018 09-21-2007 07:52 AM

i definitly think thats what happened, because i did buy them form petsmart. haha. looks like i was fooled. but she is a very pretty fish. my camera needs to be charged so when i get it working i wil try and put a pic up of her. (i think its a girl, not sure though) Thank you everyone

fishies1018 09-21-2007 10:25 AM

i looked up the name and it is definitly a Colisa fasciata. my fish looksjust like the ones i found for that name. Banded gourami. huh. Petsmart should get there names straight, haha. Thank you guys again!