Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Feeding Fish.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/feeding-fish-83693/)

smit3183 10-15-2011 05:55 PM

Feeding Fish..

How many times do people on this board feed there fish each day and do you have a fasting day for them? Just curious to know

chevysoldier 10-15-2011 09:17 PM

I feed them once when I wake up and once late afternoon. I usually don't miss a feeding but if I do no big deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

AbbeysDad 10-15-2011 09:50 PM

This has the potential for a great thread.
I feed mine twice a day - morning and around 5pm. I took a trip a month or so ago and was gone for 4 days. I put a couple of the Tetra Gel feeders that appeared untouched when I returned. All my fish looked great so the somehow did fine with significantly less food. I have heard the claim that it's better to have say one fasting day a week. I think the fish would be fine with this, but don't really know if there's a health benefit.
I also think there's a lot to be said for a varied diet. I combine/mix 5 or so different products so the fish always have a blend. I also treat them with frozen brine shrimp on tank (wwc) cleaning day. They all sure love brine shrimp!

chevysoldier 10-15-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 863241)
This has the potential for a great thread.
I feed mine twice a day - morning and around 5pm. I took a trip a month or so ago and was gone for 4 days. I put a couple of the Tetra Gel feeders that appeared untouched when I returned. All my fish looked great so the somehow did fine with significantly less food. I have heard the claim that it's better to have say one fasting day a week. I think the fish would be fine with this, but don't really know if there's a health benefit.
I also think there's a lot to be said for a varied diet. I combine/mix 5 or so different products so the fish always have a blend. I also treat them with frozen brine shrimp on tank (wwc) cleaning day. They all sure love brine shrimp!

Ah yes, good point about the diet. I forgot to mention I switch between flakes, dried brine shrimp, dried blood worms, frozen glass worms and algae wafers. I've been thinking about trying live brine shrimp but haven't gotten around to that.

k19smith 10-15-2011 11:38 PM

It depends for me on which tank it is, my guppies eat 2-4 per day, frontosa maybe 3 times per week or less, rainbow fish twice per day, large catfish once a week, fry tanks 6+ times per day.

lilras 10-16-2011 12:21 AM

I feed my fish twice a day- once in the morning and one in the evening. Bloodworms are my fish favorite!

jeaninel 10-16-2011 12:45 AM

I feed once a day except for the fry which are fed 3 times a day.

Byron 10-16-2011 02:12 PM

Once a day is sufficient for all fish except fry which need more frequent feedings. And missing one day or more each week will do no harm. Skipping the water change day for instance; fish should never be fed prior to a water change or any disturbance inside the tank, or any netting.

I don't know why almost all fish foods recommend several feedings daily. What goes in must come out, and this is only going to add to the tank's bio load and very significantly; just recognize that two feedings instead of one daily is doubling the waste entering the tank.

Plus, the fish do not need all that nutrition, and it can be more harm than good. Like overfeeding your dog, or us; without burning it off, you know what happens. Fish will be much healthier with less rather than more food.

Someone mentioned variety, and that is crucial; 3 or more different types of food will ensure better overall nutrition, and one type should always be vegetable-based (the "greens"). Bloodworms should not be fed more than a couple times a week; they are high in fat, and very low in nutritional value compared to good flake/pellet foods.

Byron.

AbbeysDad 10-17-2011 10:20 AM

Some time ago, a member posted that he feeds only once per week. I think that's too little, but twice a day ~may~ be too much. Again, following Byron's lead, I'm gonna try just feeding once per day and monitor fish activity and health. :-)