Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Beard Algea or Green Hair??

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  flowerslegacy 
#1 ·
I read through some threads before posting. I'm new to live plants but have set up three new tanks with live plants. All are doing pretty well. However, one tank has gone insane with algea. I can't differentiate if it's Beard or Green Hair or maybe both. I also don't know how to control it, with the exception of buying a new algea eater or shrimp, which I really don't want to do. This tank has a betta and I prefer to avoid any carnage. I just removed some of my wisteria, which was dead and wrapped up in this hairy stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry the second pic is so dark.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It doesn't look like black aglae to me. Maybe hair aglae I don't know though tough to tell in the pics.
How long are the lights on the tank on? What kind of lights are they? Do you use any fertilzers at all in the tank? Is the tank getting direct sun light?

#3 ·
Hi Boredomb, thanks for the response. My tank is in the living room, on the opposite wall from windows, and receives natural diffused light during the day. However, the hood darkens it significantly, so I use a 8,000k 15W flourescent tank hood which is on approx 9 hrs/day. I also use Flourish, but only once a week after my water change.

#4 ·
What size is your tank? (Sorry meant to ask that earlier) Also what kind of light bulb is it (brand) the best kind to use is one that is a daylight bulb that's between 6000k - 7000k or a full spectrum light. Sunlight can play a role in the algae problem. (Which I am working out in must tank now) but if it is across the room from the window I don't think that is going to be a problem. Which leads me back to thinking you hood light. Another thing when you add your fertilizer are doing 24hrs after the water change? If you add it the same day the dechlorinater (spelling? Water conditioner) will neutralize some of the fertilizer.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone. It's just a 10gal. The flourescent bulb is just the Aqueon brand that came with the hood. Yes, I do fertilize 24 hrs after the water change. I'm sure I have a nutrient imbalance! I read the 4-part sticky's by Bryon a few months ago, but obviously I 'need' to read them again! I only have pennywort, wisteria, water sprite and anubias due to my high p.h. Byron helped me get started but I'm a complete novice. I appreciate your help!

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. It's just a 10gal. The flourescent bulb is just the Aqueon brand that came with the hood. Yes, I do fertilize 24 hrs after the water change. I'm sure I have a nutrient imbalance! I read the 4-part sticky's by Bryon a few months ago, but obviously I 'need' to read them again! I only have pennywort, wisteria, water sprite and anubias due to my high p.h. Byron helped me get started but I'm a complete novice. I appreciate your help!

It might be a nutrient imbalance as you said. How much of the flourish are you dosing? All the plants you have are stem plants but one (anubias) and some are fast growers with the expection of the anubias. You could start dosing 2x week and see if that makes a difference or another thing I might suggest (what I would do first) is cut back on the hours the lights are on from 9 to say 7 or 8hrs and see if that helps. The reason I say this is because once there is no more nutrients or even a part of the required nutrients needed for the plants will stop taken up the nutrients and aglae will take over when the lights are on. So if you cut back on the hours to the "sweet" point. The algae should slow down to a stop and the plants should start thriving again (if that makes sense somewhat).

#9 ·
Your advice sounds great - I know I don't fertilize enough. I just forget. I'm very faithful with my water changes, but because we have to wait a day to add the fertilizer, I usually forget. So a couple of weeks can go by without any nutrients for the plants. I was fearful to start fertilizing correctly, thinking I would be fertilizing the algea, but your explanation makes perfect sense! Thanks Boredomb - I'm off to fertilize!! Oh, and turn my lights off after 7 hrs :)

#10 ·
Its hard for me to remember to fertilize too LoL I would make sure to keep fertilizing once a week. If you miss a couple of weeks you might not see the effects for a couple of weeks later with the plants (as you are now). It might take a couple of weeks to get it back under control again with the fertilizer and hours of light. If you don't see a difference after awhile you can cut the hours back to 6. The most important thing I had to learn with dealing with algae and trying to figure out how to keep it under control was patience.

#11 ·
Also you might want to(if you haven't already) remove the algae the best you can. I also found it easier to leave just a small amount of the hair algae in one spot just so I have an eye indicator on how it is doing. If it is spreading or not. Once I figure out it is not spreading I remove the last of it all together. I is just easier for me to know what to do if I have eye indicator.

#12 ·
I agree with all that's been said by others. I would just add that the Wisteria is not likely to do well, so you might consider removing. It is clearly dying off now. Mine did the same. And the reason is light; this is a high light plant. You still need to get the balance back as others mentioned, but don't expect the Wisteria to rebound.

Byron.

#13 ·
I'll keep a little algea as an indicator . . . good advice. Yes, the Wisteria is getting the hi-ho. I had purchased a good lump of it when I first planted my two 10gals. A ton of it died off initially but the rest survived. Now the rest is dieing too. I was shocked it lasted so long! Byron - thank you again for your initial influence in getting me started with live plants. I'll never go back . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.