Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Blue Mystery Snail has a very crusty yellow color?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/blue-mystery-snail-has-very-crusty-83432/)

Trixxy21 10-12-2011 02:17 PM

Blue Mystery Snail has a very crusty yellow color??

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone! This is my first ever post on this site and am excited to recieve help to this question... My blue mystery is not very blue. Ive had my snail for almost a year and have not yet managed to see it at its best.:-( I want to know if there is a special diet that i can provide it that can boost its color. Its in a 29 gallon tank accompanied by two cory cats and 15 balloon belly fry.

InvertPlanet 10-13-2011 07:27 AM

Welcome to the forum!

The only thing I can think of is a calcium deficiency which would be corrected by adding some cuttlebone to the tank.

patadams66 10-13-2011 08:15 AM

my mysterysnail looks pretty much the same. hes growing and very active i thought he was "shedding" his shell or that it did this as he grew

invert are you sure this is a problem and not a natural occurance?

Jbrofish8 10-13-2011 08:39 AM

How old was he when you got him? Ive read that if the conditions are very different from where you got him from, it can cause their shell to change colors.

My mom had a large blue mystery snail that was blue when she got it, but her water was harder than the fish stores so the snails new growth on its shell was a grayish yellow color.

patadams66 10-13-2011 10:01 AM

no clue how old he was

he was a bigger mystery snail though.

on my part at least his shell has gone back to semi normal color/condition

Trixxy21 10-14-2011 12:38 AM

Hmm i just checked the quality of my water today and everything is close to perfect :D maybe it does have to do with the hardness?? and if i put a little piece of cuttlebone will it harm my corys or my fry?
Posted via Mobile Device

Trixxy21 10-14-2011 12:44 AM

and my snail isnt more than a year and a half old. i have seen him grow his shell and also thought that could be the reason that he looks the way he does, but im sure its grown to its full size.
Posted via Mobile Device

Trixxy21 10-14-2011 12:56 AM

And THANK YOU both so much for the great tips its been very helpful! n_n
Posted via Mobile Device

InvertPlanet 10-14-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patadams66 (Post 860365)
my mysterysnail looks pretty much the same. hes growing and very active i thought he was "shedding" his shell or that it did this as he grew

invert are you sure this is a problem and not a natural occurance?

Without having the snail in front of me it is very difficult to tell. But that was the only thing I could think of.