Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   There is a natural source of spa mineral water in my town can i use it? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/there-natural-source-spa-mineral-water-83425/)

low05011487 10-12-2011 01:40 PM

There is a natural source of spa mineral water in my town can i use it?

Hey Folks

Ive been having some recent trouble in one of my tanks with livebearers, in which an ammonia spike claimed the lives of my swordtails, guppies and platies but not my neon tetras, angelfish or corys. My tank parameters say that the tap water i use is soft and acidic:
PH 6.0- 6.4 mg/l
GH 125 mg/l
KH - 50

So not optimal conditions for my livebearers but fine for my tetras and corys. Leading to one conclusion, my water chemistry is unsuitable.

Thinking about trying to prevent any more lives being lost in the future and being able to keep the fish I love, i had a thought. Forgive me if its a stupid question. But I was wondering if I could use the natural well spa water from my local town here in the UK (Buxton water) having looked on the specifics of the well water on the site it says the PH of the well water is 7.4 and these are the specifics:

Temp. at source: 81.5F (27.5C)
Calcium 55mg/l
chloride 37 mg/l
TDS 280 mg/l
Hydrongeniccarbonate 248 mg/l
Magnesium 19 mg/l
Nitrate 0.1 mg/l
Potassium 1 mg/l
Sodium 24 mg/l
sulphates 13 mg/l

Could I use the spa water for my tank- is it safe? The PH is a lot better for the livebearers but what about water hardness - would this water be better than the tap water? Hopefully someone with good water content knowledge can help me with this one. As the well is open to the public I can collect using 5 gallon bottles several times per week and just heat to correct temp in a bucket for water changes?

Im not sure if this will help, but is a description on the buxton spa water:-

"Buxton is one of the purest natural mineral waters in the world. According to the British Geological Survey, the water that emerges from the source today fell as rain over 5000 years ago.
During its long underground passage, from a depth of 1500 metres, the water filters through the ancient limestone of the Peak District, acquiring a natural balance of minerals during its long journey. The water emerges at a temperature of 81.5 F regardless of the weather"

Many thanks for everyones help in advance.

ladayen 10-12-2011 03:24 PM

Just to clarify... your live bearers would be in a seperate tank on their own?

low05011487 10-12-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 859511)
Just to clarify... your live bearers would be in a seperate tank on their own?

Yes :-) I would like to keep them in the future and eventually move the ones I already have. So I have the right fish in the right water conditions :-)

ladayen 10-12-2011 10:39 PM

I'm not an expert but it seems to be ok. You need to do a test of the water for ammonia and Nitrites though.. and verify the .1 nitrates and PH.

low05011487 10-17-2011 01:04 AM

Thanks Layaden. I wil giveit a whirl, going to get a sample today to test! If this works out and means I have to lug 5 gallon bottles to the spring in order to keep livebearers then I will! :-P

Limeylemon 10-25-2011 03:51 AM

Wow, can you get the water for free? Everywhere else in the uk we have to pay for buxton water!

low05011487 10-25-2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limeylemon (Post 874171)
Wow, can you get the water for free? Everywhere else in the uk we have to pay for buxton water!

:) yes, we have a spring open to the public in the middle of the town, people are usually queueing up to get it! Its rather warm when it comes out though, but once refridgerated its exactly the same as the commercial water. Both the buxton water factory and the university of derby buxton have direct access to the underground supply, howver the university use it for both bottling and using in the campus fine dining restaurant as well as in the thermal pool in the health and beauty spa :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Limeylemon 10-25-2011 06:43 AM

Lucky! I'm not that far from buxton may nip down to get some free spring water :) Its what, 1 for 500ml... 5 gallons like 15 litres? hehe

low05011487 10-25-2011 06:57 AM

Haha yes its a rip off at a 1-1.50 when you can get gallons of it for free! Sometimes I find myself purposely buying evian in the shop because I feel that I shouldn't have to buy buxton water!
Posted via Mobile Device