Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   cycle with/without fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycle-without-fish-83408/)

KendraMc 10-12-2011 08:24 AM

cycle with/without fish

i'm not looking for the arguments either way, i'm just curious how many people cycle their tanks which way (or did when starting or would if starting again). i know some people are adamantly against cycling with fish, while others use hardy fish when they have to.

with any luck, there will be a pole attached to this thread, so please vote :-) i'd really like to know. and poles are anonymous, so you don't have to worry about people yelling at you :-D

patadams66 10-12-2011 08:29 AM

my first aquariums i cycled with fish.

the past couple i use live plants and just stock gradually

aunt kymmie 10-12-2011 11:11 AM

I can't decide how I should vote. I don't really "cycle" with fish, even though fish go into the tank at the get go. Upon day one the tank is planted, filter media from an established tank is used, fish are added and I use Stability until I get proper water parameters.
Can we add a fourth option? That would be "neither"? I like to think I cycle with plants, established media and Stability but is what I do to be considered cycling with fish?? :-?

KendraMc 10-12-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 859273)
I can't decide how I should vote. I don't really "cycle" with fish, even though fish go into the tank at the get go. Upon day one the tank is planted, filter media from an established tank is used, fish are added and I use Stability until I get proper water parameters.
Can we add a fourth option? That would be "neither"? I like to think I cycle with plants, established media and Stability but is what I do to be considered cycling with fish?? :-?

hmm, hadn't thought about that. not sure where it would fit, and i don't think i can edit the poll now. maybe either?

patadams66 10-12-2011 11:19 AM

i put either for that reason, im not sure what stability is but i just use filter media and its well planted and i put fish in lol

aunt kymmie 10-12-2011 11:25 AM

I added a fourth option. I hope that was okay to do with your poll, KendraMc.

KendraMc 10-12-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 859287)
I added a fourth option. I hope that was okay to do with your poll, KendraMc.

Yay! thank you. i'm rather technologically inept (especially since i work at an IT support company :/) and couldn't figure it out.

zof 10-12-2011 03:44 PM

I cycled once when i first started with a fish in cycle, since then I've always moved filter material and a ton of plants over to prevent cycles :-)

Byron 10-12-2011 06:21 PM

Always plants, with fish going in the same initial day. Usually some bacteria-laden wood or rock from existing tanks is used in a new setup and this may help.