Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   What do you name your fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/what-do-you-name-your-fish-83389/)

dormfish 10-11-2011 11:07 PM

What do you name your fish?

I tend to name my fish some pretty interesting things. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so here's some of the names I've given my fish.

Bob- Female Molly
I originally thought she was a boy, but after a bit more research on live-bearers, found out I was wrong.

Tokyo - Female Gold Calico Platy

The newest addition to the tank family. She is a curious, yet slightly snooty fish, who likes to play 'hard to get' with Skittles.

Skittles - Male Micky Mouse Platy

A colorful boy with swagger. Always 'putting the moves' on Tokyo. He follows her around everywhere.

Barbie - Female White Skirt Tetra
Ms. Snooty Booty of the tank. She's the biggest fish in there and knows it. She likes to throw her weight around quite a bit.

Ken - Male White Skirt Tetra
Almost has the demeanor of Barbie's 'sidekick.' He never leaves her side, even though he's obviously second fiddle.

Names of Past Fish

Bopalopogous - Common Placo

Dunebuggie - Male Orange Molly

ScarlettAngel 10-12-2011 01:53 AM

Only one in my tank has a name and that's my Pleco........COLIN!!!, I have no idea why, it just suits him, haha
Posted via Mobile Device

dormfish 10-12-2011 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScarlettAngel (Post 859100)
Only one in my tank has a name and that's my Pleco........COLIN!!!, I have no idea why, it just suits him, haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Back in grade school. my friend, Molly had a 5 gallon tank, where she had a placo, or an "algea-eater," as she called it, only they kept dying... probably from malnutrition, now that I think about it. Anyways, the placos' names were, in order:

Twiggy
Twiggy Jr.
Twiggy II
Twiggy III

Then her dad didn't let her buy any more placos XD

BobtheSnail 10-12-2011 09:16 AM

I have three Black Skirt Tetras, names as follows:

Mr. Wigglesworth- He's tiny and hardly ever eats everything, but when they school he's always the leader LOL
Mr. Nibbles- The only full grown fish, Mr. Nibbles used to be the boss, but now he just sticks by Mr. Wigglesworth. In fact, he's pretty much always directly underneath him.
Mr. Bubbles- I am increasingly suspicious that this one is a girl... And he/she/it is totally the boss of the tank. Bubbles has taken half of my 10 gallon take to -self!

Bob- Golden Mystery Snail

Past Fish
Bob- Common Goldfish

KendraMc 10-12-2011 09:54 AM

I have a pleco named George. in the tank my mom and i had when i was a kid we had a pleco named MusMus, after the mouse in the book The Littles (i think) i never read the book, my sister did, but that is what he was named.

BumbleBG 10-12-2011 01:52 PM

My BKG is Knightley. Then I have a ten gallon with two Julii cories named Umberto and Fernando, and a HM Betta named Sinister. There are some green neons in there and a zebra snail, but I haven't gotten around to naming them yet.

Knightley is deff my favorite though.

iamgray 10-18-2011 11:24 AM

I like to name them random things, or else I name them after Babylon 5 characters. I often don't give them individual names... like my dwarf honey gouramis are named Catbus. My neons are named Zathras. When I get a fish that I later decide is horribly plain compared to the other fish, I name it Susan. One betta is named Business Bureau (Betta Business Bureau... heehee). The other is named Fuel Emulsifier (my partner named that one, because he works in the auto industry and was sad that none of the fish were named after things he likes). I usually name the handsomest guppy John Sheridan. My platy is named Kosh. Ummm... that's all I can think of right now.

aunt kymmie 10-18-2011 11:34 AM

Only one fish of all the many I keep has a name. He is the bully of the tank and his name is not suitable to be posted in a family forum.

dormfish 10-18-2011 02:20 PM

Lol. Aunt Kymmie. If it's what I think it is... that's a good name XD

KendraMc 10-18-2011 02:22 PM

i currently have a rainbow shark in my tank who seems to have become Mr Shark (very original, i know). the name just sort of happened. someone suggested McShark, but mr shark fits better.