Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Where can I get the best deal on Aquarium decor? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/where-can-i-get-best-deal-83370/)

dormfish 10-11-2011 08:29 PM

Where can I get the best deal on Aquarium decor?

I'm a college student on a budget, but my tank is so dull. Where can I get some cheap decor for my tank?

Mikaila31 10-12-2011 12:25 AM

well I get most mine off the ground these days... depends what your looking for I guess;-).

DKRST 10-12-2011 07:59 AM

If you have a good light and the right fish (non plant-eating), I'd recommend live plants. They are usually much less expensive than plastic plants and they replicate over time, meaning you don't have to buy many plants at first to eventually have a tankful. May need to factor in the cost of liquid fertilizer, but it's not bad (or you can "dry dose" much cheaper). You can pick up plants on the forum at fair prices.

aunt kymmie 10-12-2011 10:01 AM

I picked up my Malaysian driftwood off of craigslist for a mere fraction of its typical price.

zof 10-12-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 859208)
If you have a good light and the right fish (non plant-eating), I'd recommend live plants. They are usually much less expensive than plastic plants and they replicate over time, meaning you don't have to buy many plants at first to eventually have a tankful. May need to factor in the cost of liquid fertilizer, but it's not bad (or you can "dry dose" much cheaper). You can pick up plants on the forum at fair prices.

Plus you can sell the extra plants to other people with tanks to make some extra cash ;-)

k19smith 10-12-2011 06:16 PM

If your looking for fake stuff I have a bunch in the classifieds, I'll send you really cheap I have more I need to get listed.

stevenjohn21 10-12-2011 06:36 PM

Nature is full of great looking decor for aquariums, and its free ! cant beat a walk along your local river,stream and finding that "perfect" shaped rock or piece of driftwood

dormfish 10-12-2011 08:08 PM

K19Smith, that would be wonderful! :) I would use real plants, but I'm afraid I would kill them. and stevenjohn21, that's a good idea. My campus is right on the shore of Lake Superior :)

ladayen 10-12-2011 09:59 PM

just make sure to sanitize and test it first. Boil it throughly and test it with a drop of vinegar. If it fizzles through it away.

dormfish 10-12-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 860091)
just make sure to sanitize and test it first. Boil it throughly and test it with a drop of vinegar. If it fizzles through it away.

Boiling rocks can be very dangerous. there's an article about it on here somewhere. If i do pop down ot the lakeshore, I'll run the rock under some really hot water.... Maybe one of my neiighbors has a bit of vinegar.