Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   new to the fish world (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/new-fish-world-83321/)

everyangelneedshorns 10-11-2011 10:54 AM

new to the fish world

Hi my name is Sandra! I recently put together a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium. I had a question on yahoo and someone suggested this website so here I am!

BobtheSnail 10-11-2011 11:04 AM

Welcome to TFK! I just joined too; hope you have fun here! :)

everyangelneedshorns 10-11-2011 11:09 AM

Is this a love dance or just being mean?!?!

I have 3 dalamation mollies and one of them is always messing with one of the other mollies. I posted a video on youtube. If you get a chance would you take a look and let me know what you think is going on. Thanks! lil twin community - 55 gallon Freshwater fish tank

dormfish 10-12-2011 01:44 AM

Welcome to TFK! Hope you find it as useful as I have :) I keep Platies. Just gotta love those livebearers!

aunt kymmie 10-12-2011 10:26 AM

Hi Sanda! Welcome to TFK. :-)

dormfish 10-12-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by everyangelneedshorns (Post 857933)
I have 3 dalamation mollies and one of them is always messing with one of the other mollies. I posted a video on youtube. If you get a chance would you take a look and let me know what you think is going on. Thanks! lil twin community - 55 gallon Freshwater fish tank love dance or being mean?!?!? - YouTube

The 'mean one' is a male trying to mate with your female there, only she's not interested. Always be sure the females outnumber males in the tank whn dealing with Mollies, Platies, Guppies or Swordtails, as they are very aggressive breeders and can harass a female enough that she dies. providing a place to hide is always good, too. You seem to have some good plants for hiding so you're good there.

Hope this helped :)

~Dormfish (platy breeder)

KendraMc 10-12-2011 01:07 PM

you may want to get another female or two, if you have room (don't know how many other fish you have in there). spreading out the attention of the male can help. i had a similar problem with my swordtails and getting one more female made a lot of difference.

everyangelneedshorns 10-12-2011 08:32 PM

sad day today

:cry: Well one of my poor female mollies died today. The male just wouldn't leave it alone. There is one other female molly that he is now on all the time :cry:. I wish there where way I could get them apart but as of right now I don't have a way of doing that. I'm feeling pretty bad that I should of done more research before placing them in their new home. On a lighter note I have found this website full of helpful information and friendly people full of advice! Thanks everyone for your help so far! I will be doing so much needed shopping soon to hopefully save my last female molly before its to late. Thanks again everyone!

Groovysunflowers 10-12-2011 08:45 PM

Dormfish is right, mollies are aggressive breeders, so it's good to at least keep 2-3 females to 1 male. They mate a LOT too, which is why it's good to have so many females..1 male trying to mate with 1 female can exhaust the female and result in poor pregnancy health, and also death. Having more females around gives the male some distraction...I'm sorry to hear about your loss..I recently lost a gold dust molly shortly after she gave birth :( I replaced her with some older, wiser Dalmation Mollies, and OMG the personalities!! They even nip on my fingers and arms when i try to move some decorations...i love them to pieces!!

willow 10-16-2011 03:50 AM

helllo and welcome. :-D