Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   Eel Not Eating (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/eel-not-eating-83167/)

NewAquarium 10-09-2011 07:26 PM

Eel Not Eating

My boyfriend and I just recently bought a Green Wolf Eel and he won't eat live or dead food. Is he still adjusting or what could be wrong. Please help.

Reefing Madness 10-09-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAquarium (Post 856188)
My boyfriend and I just recently bought a Green Wolf Eel and he won't eat live or dead food. Is he still adjusting or what could be wrong. Please help.

Welp, need general stuff here. Tank size? How much Live Rock? (hiding places) Other fish that may pick on him. Stuff like that.
Ammonia level
Nitrate level
Nitrite level
And, sometime it might take a day or 2 for them to warm up to eating.

trukgirl 10-10-2011 07:40 PM

I second what Reefer said.

NewAquarium 10-21-2011 05:42 PM

It's a 28 gallon tank with three large live rocks and a pirate thing he sleeps in. We are getting more live rock with weekend but it's a slow process. We have two pajama cardinals and had a shrimp. He finally ate and then he ate our shrimp.

Pasfur 10-21-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAquarium (Post 870495)
It's a 28 gallon tank with three large live rocks and a pirate thing he sleeps in. We are getting more live rock with weekend but it's a slow process. We have two pajama cardinals and had a shrimp. He finally ate and then he ate our shrimp.

There is a great chance he will attempt to eat the Pajama Cardinals also. Not a good choice mixing these fish.

trukgirl 10-24-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 870600)
There is a great chance he will attempt to eat the Pajama Cardinals also. Not a good choice mixing these fish.

+1!!! He WILL eventually eat everything that will remotely fit in his mouth. Its not IF he will eat them, its WHEN.

How old was it when you got it? Do you know its previous history? Some will only eat live, moving things while others (like my snowflake) will eat frozen chunks. I do soak his frozen food in a cpl oz of tank water with Garlic Guard to attract him, maybe try that? Remember most eels can barely see, they go by smell.

Chevelle 10-24-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trukgirl (Post 873225)
+1!!! He WILL eventually eat everything that will remotely fit in his mouth. Its not IF he will eat them, its WHEN.

How old was it when you got it? Do you know its previous history? Some will only eat live, moving things while others (like my snowflake) will eat frozen chunks. I do soak his frozen food in a cpl oz of tank water with Garlic Guard to attract him, maybe try that? Remember most eels can barely see, they go by smell.

Green wolf eels aren't true eels, they are a type of blenny. They have good vision, learn to recognize you, and are..almost insatiable. They live to eat. I've seen a couple that will come up and eat pellets from the top. Just give it a few days, once it is settled it should start eating.

Pasfur 10-24-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevelle (Post 873639)
Green wolf eels aren't true eels, they are a type of blenny. They have good vision, learn to recognize you, and are..almost insatiable. They live to eat. I've seen a couple that will come up and eat pellets from the top. Just give it a few days, once it is settled it should start eating.

Actually... the Green Wolf Eel is a type of Dottyback, which contributes to their territorial behavior and aggression towards invertebrates and small bite sized fish. Good point, however, that they are not actually eels.

trukgirl 10-25-2011 09:00 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

trukgirl 10-25-2011 09:00 AM

guess thats what i get for assuming.
Posted via Mobile Device