Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   A rather general question about 'curing' live rock (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/rather-general-question-about-curing-live-83162/)

gmate 10-09-2011 06:53 PM

A rather general question about 'curing' live rock

I am currently the holder of three freshwater tanks, but have restarted the hobby to refresh my knowledge and begin to get into the marine foray seriously. In a few months I'll be setting up a moderate sized salt reef aquarium (probably 55g) and am beginning to read my books, scour the internet, and talk to other fish keepers about salt water tank management. I get most of the basics, but I'm asking a few questions.

When it comes to curing live rock, I will probably be doing so in large rubbermaid containers. Now I know that once cured, it's fairly easy to let the rock sit in the aquarium and leech coralline algae and organisms onto 'dry' rock that can be placed in proximity to live rock. Effectively, in time (weeks or months) making dry rock - into live rock.

My question is, during the initial curing process, could I do this as well? I'm sure that some of the non-beneficial organisms and things I'm trying to 'rid' myself of would find homes in dry rock, but if I thoroughly clean the live rock before curing it shouldn't be too much of an issue, right? I'm thinking that if I grab 40 lbs of live rock, and cure it alongside another 40 pounds of dry rock, I'll get a head start on the conversion from dry to live process? Rather than curing live rock first, then mixing it with dry rock once it's in the aquarium. I can see the 'pros' to this, but can somebody who perhaps is more conditioned list any possible 'cons'? I can afford 80 lbs of live rock if that's what it comes to - but to be honest, I'm going to go through an extensive curing and initial process with my first salt aquarium. I'm very patient and diligent and will definitely let nature run it's course before jumping into my reef setup and purchasing corals.

Thanks in advance.

Reefing Madness 10-09-2011 08:09 PM

Yea, you can cure the Live Rock with the Dry Rock, no worries. The hitchhickers will find homes there as well. Believe me, the critters won't all get scrubbed off when you do it. You will be suprised at the life that rock still has.

gmate 10-09-2011 08:17 PM

I've been sort of putting together a list of everything I'm going to have to buy ahead of time. Equipment, supplies, conditioners and supplements, etc so that I will know where and how to have everything before I physically start.

My biggest, biggest downfall is there are NO true local fish stores in my area. Petsmart is my only option for freshwater fish. The internet is going to have to be my friend. The closest LFS is in Greenwich Connecticut (I am in Monroe Connecticut) so that's at least an hour's trip with traffic. So for live rock, I'm thinking I'm going to be buying online. Possibly Liveaquaria.com. I'm skeptical, but I've heard good reviews from some of the seasoned marine guys on this forum so I have some glimmer of hope.

Pasfur 10-09-2011 09:24 PM

I like that you are planning ahead. You should check our MarcoRocks Aquarium Products, I have used them a number of times for dry rock.

Reefing Madness 10-09-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 856379)
I like that you are planning ahead. You should check our MarcoRocks Aquarium Products, I have used them a number of times for dry rock.

:thumbsup:
Live Aquaria is also a good one for Live Rock.

onefish2fish 10-10-2011 04:45 AM

marco rocks is great stuff. i also suggest thinking about a 40 breeder OR a 75 gallon over a 55 gallon tank. the 55s are narrow and the 40s and 75s are wider. the wider tanks makes placing rocks easier instead of being forced to create a wall along the 55.

if you already have the 55, use it as a DIY sump.

gmate 10-10-2011 09:21 AM

The only thing I'm worried about is the DIY plumbing end. It's something that I grasp how to do, and can figure it out pretty easily once I'm in the hands on phase and actually doing it. But, having never done it before , I'll be homest, it feels like a daunting task.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 10-10-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmate (Post 856727)
The only thing I'm worried about is the DIY plumbing end. It's something that I grasp how to do, and can figure it out pretty easily once I'm in the hands on phase and actually doing it. But, having never done it before , I'll be homest, it feels like a daunting task.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't run a sump unitl your comfortable with it then.

Pasfur 10-10-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmate (Post 856727)
Posted via Mobile Device

There is a very good article in our reference library on sumps that should be of help:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/w...g-sumps-15930/

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Many of us here use sumps and can help. It isn't that difficult once you get into it.

Reefing Madness 10-10-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 857100)
There is a very good article in our reference library on sumps that should be of help:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/w...g-sumps-15930/

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Many of us here use sumps and can help. It isn't that difficult once you get into it.

Er, or until it fails. A Reef Ready (RR Tank) is the only tank I would advise anyone new to go ahead and use a sump. As the tank is drilled and an overflow using that system is very, very rare. Using the overflow box system on the other hand, welp, thats a different story. Difficult to run, absolutely not, I agree. To many ifs and what happens, if you ask me. I don't want 240g of water all over my living room, if or when that went down, thats is why I don't run one.
http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html