Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Newb needs light bulb info as much as possible (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/newb-needs-light-bulb-info-much-83161/)

wan2 learn 10-09-2011 06:39 PM

Newb needs light bulb info as much as possible

I BROUGT A 3FT TANK USED FROM EBAY UK GOT IT ALL IS WELL PUT MY PLANTS IN WHICH HAVE DONE REALLY WELL IN MY OLD 10GAL AFTER AFEW WEEKS THERE LOOKING VERY ILL AND GOING BLACK IN SPOTS OTHER PLANTS LIKE ANUBIAS THE ODD LEAF TURNS TO LIKE A SPIDERS WEB. SO I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING A NEW BULB THINKING ITS EASY AND IT PROBLEY BUT I HAVE AFEW QUESTIONS IDE APPRECIATE OTHERS TO TO ANSER EXPLAIN

SO MY TANK IS A 3FT 39INX16INX12IN I MEASURED MY 30W BULB AS BEST AS I COULD AND GOT 85CM WHICH I CANT FIND MANY BULBS THAT SIZE AND THE BIGGEST WORRY I HAVE IS THAT ON THE BULB IT SAYS REPTILE USE ONLY WHEN I BROUGT THE TANK I DIDNT CHECK THE BULB AS THE SELLER SAID HE HAD JUST REPLACED IT IVE HAD THE TANK AROUND 4MONTHS AND THE LIGHT IS ON 12HRS OR MORE A DAY 3 TIL 3 OR LATER.

OTHER CONCERNS ARE DIAMITER AND FIXTURE MINE HAS 2 PRONGS AT EACH LENTH OF THE BULB AND THE DIAMITOR IS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A UK 2P COIN OR 1/3RD BIGGER THAN THAN A US QUARTER

LASTLY I HAVE TO APPOLOGIZE FOR MY LONG POST IM BRAND NEW TO THE FOURMS AND THIS IS THE 1ST IVE EVER SIGNED TO I JUST WAN2LEARN TO BETTER MY FISHES LIVES.
THANK YOU ALL
:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: ESSAY ALERT

TL1000RSquid 10-10-2011 08:31 AM

Your not going to get enough light for that size planted tank out of a single tube fixture. If it held x2 30w bulbs you'd be ok. Also sounds like its probably a T12 bulb type, Your dimensions come out to about 33 US gallons. or 125ish liters.

wan2 learn 10-10-2011 12:26 PM

yeah ive done some reseach today its a t8 i think the diamiter is 9cm i dont want to get into changeing my fixture as i want a new tank in the next year anyway heres what ive been told get rid of a couple plants and get a medic bulb or something only the bulb im looking for is very hard to find thats probley why the previous owner fitted a reptile bulb i need a 30w t8 34" bulb thats what im told anyway im setting up a 35litre tank for a betta soon so ill move some plants to that tank and fit the best light i can if anybody knows where i can find the t8 30w 34" bulb ide be v happy or can i use a 39w t8 34" 1 person has said no but im only asking

TL1000RSquid 10-10-2011 02:47 PM

Any markings on the fixture that say what the max wattage is? You'd want a bulb thats out putting in the 6500k + spectrum. Maybe Amazon.uk has the bulbs? That or a good independent shop, shipping from any place in the US I would recommend would probably double the cost.

Mikaila31 10-10-2011 10:18 PM

Bulbs come in standard sizes. Its diameter and wattage should be printed on the bulb itself. 'F30T8' if it is a 30 watt T8. If it is a 30 watt T8 then it is 3 feet or 36 inches long, since that is the only size that bulb comes in. The wattage depends on the lenght and vise versa. They do not make 34 inch T8 bulbs.

Byron 10-12-2011 05:15 PM

I agree. And back to a prior comment, if I read correctly this is a 3-foot tank, so a 33g as someone said. A single T8 tube at 36 inches (or even if it was 30 inches which mine is over my 33g) is fine for the majority of plants. But you need a good tube for plant growth.

And that reminds me that this same Reptile tube came up in another thread, and I believe I suggested some tubes there. If not, I can here.

Byron.

wan2 learn 10-18-2011 01:51 PM

Thanks guyssorry i havent updated sooner but my bulb was a 36" t8 30w so im really glad to have signed up here as you have all just proved that the info on here is the best source for me. i didnt know i needed to mesure the end caps too thats why i was getting 34" and i 1st mesured the circumference not diameter yes i had a silly moment. i ended up getting a interpet trpical and plants bulb and orderd a new reflector and while thats pending delivery i coverd my tank flaps with xmas paper and im surprized at the difference it makes but when the new reflector comes ill take the foil paper off incase theres a risk of contaments entering my tank i live in the uk also i think uk gals and us gals are alittle differnt anybody know why..
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO COMMENTED ON MY QUESTION