Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Project redo 35g :) The journal (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/project-redo-35g-journal-83157/)

Limeylemon 10-09-2011 04:21 PM

Project redo 35g :) The journal

8 Attachment(s)
I thought i would just share my journey of my first re sculpt of my 35g :)
It has been up and running since febuary, and i was always so bored of the layout, tried different ornaments and it never worked for me. So a complete redecoration was the key :) SO FUN!

Heres a before:
Attachment 39335

Empty tank!
Attachment 39336

Added flourite substrate instead of gravel, changed the background and put the plants back in
Attachment 39337

It was so cloudy for about 24 hours and a water change!
Attachment 39338

Grabbed a few potted plants from the local fish shop
Attachment 39339
Attachment 39340

I found this marsh root on ebay and fell in love with it!
Attachment 39341

Some more plants arrived, but i'm still waiting on some creeping jenny, and i decided on a dwarf hairgrass carpet
Attachment 39342

This is where i am at right now, any suggestions would be lovely on what if anything would make it much better. The back and corners left will be filled in with creeping jenny :)

Jbrofish8 10-09-2011 05:49 PM

Looks great!

Good job! Im going to be doing this same thing to my first tank next weekend. :)

Boredomb 10-10-2011 05:39 PM

Thats definitely a very unique piece of driftwood. The tank is looking nice! I can not really see anything else I would change with the way it is now with the execption of maybe some moss on some of the branches.

Limeylemon 10-12-2011 07:30 AM

Im currently waiting on riccia arriving :) going to put bits on each branch of the driftwood, but still leaving most uncovered.

patadams66 10-12-2011 07:34 AM

limey,

good job on the redo it looks great!

i have one question for you though,

do i see albino cories?

if so your substrate is very bad for them. its very sharp and will wear down there barbels (bables? babels? their "whiskers")

just a heads up!

Limeylemon 10-12-2011 08:30 AM

True it is an albino cory, I have 3. The substrate is only a base, once the tanks grown in it will be covered with dwarf hair grass which corys love to clean up :) Im aiming for no substrate on show.

Limeylemon 11-28-2011 03:07 AM

6 Attachment(s)
has been about 46 days since I last posted!
All I have done since is add 2 more plants (another amazon sword and forgotten the others name)
Added some floating water lettuce and just let it grow! I have done no pruning or trimming, wanted it all to overgrow first, have used flourish comprehensive weekly, and also added flourish excel weekly... Here is it now. (I am very sorry about the picture quality, I seriously have no decent camera!

Attachment 42591

Attachment 42592

Attachment 42593

Attachment 42594

Attachment 42595

Attachment 42596

Ogre44 11-28-2011 07:32 AM

How does your Betta get along with your Platties?
I'm considering Platties for my Betta tank and would like to know if it's a bad idea first;-)

Limeylemon 11-28-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogre44 (Post 905473)
How does your Betta get along with your Platties?
I'm considering Platties for my Betta tank and would like to know if it's a bad idea first;-)

He is a very very placid betta, had him in there since those guppies were nothing but fry, has grown with them and never bugged them (which I know bettas are notorious for). The plattys just chill around the plants at the back, never bother the betta or vice versa! As long as your not over stocking and they all have hiding places, go for it :)

Boredomb 11-29-2011 12:45 PM

Limeylemon your tank is looking Great!!! Like one big flooded jungle. Very nice work.
Just becareful with the excel some plants will melt when you use it. Also I think I have heard it can be bad for the fish if it is overdosed.