Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   Phosphate Reactor (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/phosphate-reactor-83089/)

MetalArm3 10-08-2011 10:06 PM

Phosphate Reactor

I am going to be purchasing a 29gal HQI BioCube (as i mentioned before) and am seeking info on Phosban Reactors.

The placement of my tank will catch the sun setting for about 30-45min a day (a bit longer in the winter with no leaves on the tree). With knowing this and seeing many claims of having nuisance algae with a 0 phosphate reading, i was thinking about getting a phosphate reactor sometime in the future.

One product i was looking at was the two little fishies phosban 150. My concern llies with the set up. I don't have a sump and i cant to hang it on the back of the tank (there will be no room).

Is it possible to set it up under like a canister filter under the stand (have an inlet/outlet pipe ran off an external pump)?

Thanks,
MetalArm3:roll:

Reefing Madness 10-08-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalArm3 (Post 855223)
I am going to be purchasing a 29gal HQI BioCube (as i mentioned before) and am seeking info on Phosban Reactors.

The placement of my tank will catch the sun setting for about 30-45min a day (a bit longer in the winter with no leaves on the tree). With knowing this and seeing many claims of having nuisance algae with a 0 phosphate reading, i was thinking about getting a phosphate reactor sometime in the future.

One product i was looking at was the two little fishies phosban 150. My concern llies with the set up. I don't have a sump and i cant to hang it on the back of the tank (there will be no room).

Is it possible to set it up under like a canister filter under the stand (have an inlet/outlet pipe ran off an external pump)?

Thanks,
MetalArm3:roll:

Yup, set it up just like one. you'll have the flow valve on the return line, not on the intake line.:-D

MetalArm3 10-09-2011 10:21 AM

Thanks Madness!

I was unsure on the setup because nowhere in the instructions (PDF) does it mention running it like a canister. I think I will pick one i one up sometime and run it with NP Biopellets. Seems like the maintnane on them are real low and you only need to replace media every 6 months ( major plus).

Thanks Again,
MetalArm3
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 10-09-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalArm3 (Post 855713)
Thanks Madness!

I was unsure on the setup because nowhere in the instructions (PDF) does it mention running it like a canister. I think I will pick one i one up sometime and run it with NP Biopellets. Seems like the maintnane on them are real low and you only need to replace media every 6 months ( major plus).

Thanks Again,
MetalArm3
Posted via Mobile Device

THey run just like one. One inlet one return, you just need to get the right sized pump, to tumble the material inthe canister. I don't think you need to worry about that using Pellets.

MetalArm3 10-09-2011 11:23 AM

Cool.

If I may trouble you for one last question, what external aquarium pump would you recommend? It must be external due to the limited space in the back of the BioCube. I looked at the Hydor L20 ( reviews seem bad however) and the Eheim brand seems expensive.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 10-09-2011 11:57 AM

Aquarium Water Pumps & Water Movement: Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Pumps
Danner Mag-Drive Supreme Water Pump

MetalArm3 10-09-2011 12:17 PM

Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium 1200 Pump is the one I'll go with. With 3-4' head its say I should achieve 150-200gph which should be enough and is a great price at $29.99.

Thanks for the Info,
MetalArm3
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 10-09-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalArm3 (Post 855814)
Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium 1200 Pump is the one I'll go with. With 3-4' head its say I should achieve 150-200gph which should be enough and is a great price at $29.99.

Thanks for the Info,
MetalArm3
Posted via Mobile Device

:thumbsup:

reefsahoy 10-09-2011 03:30 PM

you may want to consider heat into the tank. if a nano sits in the sun for a few mins it will probably overheat

onefish2fish 10-09-2011 03:37 PM

i would also set the reactor in a food safe tupperware under the stand. this is just as a cation incase for any leaks.