Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   if only i had the space... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/if-only-i-had-space-82950/)

KendraMc 10-07-2011 09:57 AM

if only i had the space...

not really off topic, but i figured it fit better here than anywhere else.

i have come to realize that it is probably a good thing i have very little space and that my fiance helps limit me on what i can buy right now. looking at all of the beautiful fish people have and the excitement of breeding makes me wish i could get into that part of the fish too. i keep looking at the bettas people are selling or even giving away and am in awe of how beautiful they are. and some of the cichlids are really neat too. but between my hard water, the fact that we live with my fiance's brother, and that money isn't exactly in over abundance right now, i can't get into any of the really cool fish yet.

however, one of these days i might just do so. i think it would be fascinating to breed some of the more interesting fish (livebearers just aren't as cool as some of the others). or just go for some fun colored swords (i've always had swordtails in every tank i've had, i just like them). of course, if i stay in the area i live in now, livebearers might be my best bet. but i just love some of the cichlids out there.

maybe one of these days...

maybe i'll even start a store selling mostly my own fish. that would be fun.

zof 10-07-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendraMc (Post 853555)
maybe i'll even start a store selling mostly my own fish. that would be fun.

Breeding for sale takes lots of room and time, but its fun to hope and dream, I have this day dream about once a week ;-)

Romad 10-08-2011 08:05 AM

I know what you mean. I keep looking around to see where I might be able to squeeze in "just one more" betta tank.

And, I think I could replace the 75 gallon tank with 100+ gallons instead...... LOL

dormfish 10-10-2011 02:19 PM

I totally know how you feel! I'm in a college dorm at the moment, and I'm always looking at my 10 gallon thinking, "I cold replace that with a 20 gallon.... and have more fish." or "I could get one of those bowls that attach to the wall and get a pretty betta."

Groovysunflowers 10-10-2011 02:31 PM

I can relate. I wasn't expecting to become a surrogate mom when I got my first Molly. Didn't know I bought her pregnant, so now I have two of her babies (the rest were enjoyed for lunch by the tankmates.) Then came another pregnant molly, who died shortly after birth, and is survived by 3 fry. It's become a bad habit to get out of, knowing that these fry will grow up and hopefully put a few dollars in my pocket. Low and behold, 4 mollies and 5 babies later, breeding is something I never saw myself doing, but am slowly in the process of staying in. Like I said, majority of the fry don't make it, but the 2 or 3 that do still put enough of a smile on my face. I've had the breeder net in my tank so long now, it would be weird to picture it without it sitting there, lol. The cichlids are very neat to look at when I'm at the store, they have such personality about them, but I have a wide variety community tank that I could never realistically see myself owning one.