Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Bolivian Rams w/ eggs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/bolivian-rams-w-eggs-82922/)

Tha Bizness 10-06-2011 08:43 PM

Bolivian Rams w/ eggs

My Bolivian Rams in my 29g spawned last night.:welldone: I almost killed the eggs during my tank cleaning session tho. :frustrated:

During the water change I took out the piece of simulated drift wood and unplanted a few plants in the tank. The male ram went crazy and attacked me multiple times - something he has never done. At the time I didn't know what was going on. 30 minutes after I put everything back together I noticed the female dropping eggs on the simulated driftwood and the male doing his thing in between. I'm not sure if some eggs were there before or if they were laid after. I should of paid closer attention.

Right now (23h later) the parents are guarding a small group of pink eggs with black dots in the middle. Any fish that comes near is quickly attacked.

I hope some survive. Just bought a 10 gallon and filter to use as a hospital tank. I have the filter in the 29g in hopes I have time to get some bacteria growth in the filter if the eggs survive and hatch. If they don't I know now I have a breeding pair of rams!

KendraMc 10-07-2011 09:06 AM

yay! good luck with them. hopefully you get some babies soon.

zof 10-07-2011 02:44 PM

Congrats, in a community tank you will definitely want to remove the fry as soon as they are free swimming, chances are he got pissed because they had picked that spot for the eggs and cleaned it. Watch for pits the male runs around and digs this is where they will move the wrigglers once they hatch. Also don't be surprised if parents get scare and just decide to eat the eggs/wrigglers until they get the hang of it.

Tha Bizness 10-13-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 853791)
Congrats, in a community tank you will definitely want to remove the fry as soon as they are free swimming, chances are he got pissed because they had picked that spot for the eggs and cleaned it. Watch for pits the male runs around and digs this is where they will move the wrigglers once they hatch. Also don't be surprised if parents get scare and just decide to eat the eggs/wrigglers until they get the hang of it.

I removed the fry yesterday. Not a EZ thing to do. First I tried to use my gravel vac and didn't get many. Then I got a turkey baster and that worked better. I left about 20 in the tank.

zof 10-13-2011 06:29 PM

Congrats glad they made it to the free swimming stage, my rams are stupid and keep killing their eggs, so far only have 2 fry I removed as eggs from about 8 different spawns.