Moneywort has "cobwebs"
I purchased a moneywort plant about a week ago from a LFS.
Over the past few days I've noticed that the plant has what I can best describe as "cobwebs" amongst the stems and it hangs from some of the foilage.
What is this and what is the cause?
Additional info: 29 Gallon currently in the process of fishless cycling week 3 completed tomorrow
It's definately some sort of algae... probably string or hair algae... Maybe even some diatoms.
The algae comes from an imbalance of nutrients.. Are you dosing any fertilisers?
Can you identify your plant better? (Several species of Bacopa are referred to as 'moneywort'... Bacopa Monnerei does well in lower light levels, but doesn't like the water too warm.)
What are water parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
No on fert's - when I added my first few plants a couple of weeks ago I added Florapride. As I read the directions Florapride should only be added at water changes or once a month?
I'm not sure what the sub species of plant it is, all I know is Moneywort.
I am currently doing a fishless cycle, so zero stocking level
Started the cycle on Sept 15, about 10 days ago through testing I discovered an ammonia spike to 4.0
A week later my nitrates and nitrites went up and the ammonia came down.
Over the past two days my ammonia level is .25, my nitrate and nitrite appear to be 2.0 each.
I added the moneywort and an anacharis at the same time during the ammonia spike at 4.0 but before any nitrate or nitrite activity - both of those readings at the time of planting was 0.0.
The anacharis looks normal to me, an amateur, and appears to be growing (knock on wood).
When I added the plants the tank felt a little slimy.
For the record, I added some fish food to get the cycle going.
All of my readings have been added to my aquarium log.
Thanks for reviewing and providing your thoughts
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2