Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Neon Tetra (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/neon-tetra-82727/)

JakeAvraham 10-04-2011 12:22 PM

Neon Tetra

Hello!
I wanna know what is the natural environment of Neo Tetra look.
How to organize my aquarium? [with tree roots \ live plants and rocks]
I wanna to do the perfect tank for Neon Tetra.
Can someone bring me some pictures of they on wild? on the river please?

JakeAvraham 10-04-2011 01:31 PM

I forgot to mention my tank is 15 gallons [60 Liters], panoramic triangular

Santaclaws 10-04-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeAvraham (Post 850324)
I forgot to mention my tank is 15 gallons [60 Liters], panoramic triangular

This should help http://ktcatspost.blogspot.com/2008/...s-in-wild.html

Byron 10-04-2011 02:26 PM

That's a video I myself have posted quite some time ago. Those fish actually are not neon tetra (Paracheirodon innesi), they are the false neon, Paracheirodon simulans. You can read and see the differences in our respective profiles. This is yet another example of the confusion using common names that can mean something different to different people. The false Neon is closer physiologically to the cardinal (Paracheirodon axelrodi) than it is to the neon, according to DNA analysis. Regardless, this is an example of one type of habitat, from Venezuela. But for the true Neon, you might want to go further south, into Peru.

I posted a link to a whole slew of photos on the Rio Ucayali in the Peruvian Amazon the other day in a thread on fish of that river. The true Neon is found in the Peruvian Amazon including parts of this river. Generally you would want very dim lighting, with floating plants. Sand or fine gravel substrate, chunks of bogwood and branches, leaves on the substrate. Here's a link to another series of photos on another tributary of the R. Ucayali:
Welcome to Martin and Toms Homepage
This is a slide show, I can't copy the photos, but if you click on the arrow in the upper right corner of the first photo it will continue with the series. The habitat water has a pH of 4.3, no hardness, no nitrate. It is a blackwater river, stained with tannins from the decaying vegetation.

Byron.

Santaclaws 10-04-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 850356)
That's a video I myself have posted quite some time ago. Those fish actually are not neon tetra (Paracheirodon innesi), they are the false neon, Paracheirodon simulans. You can read and see the differences in our respective profiles. This is yet another example of the confusion using common names that can mean something different to different people. The false Neon is closer physiologically to the cardinal (Paracheirodon axelrodi) than it is to the neon, according to DNA analysis. Regardless, this is an example of one type of habitat, from Venezuela. But for the true Neon, you might want to go further south, into Peru.

I posted a link to a whole slew of photos on the Rio Ucayali in the Peruvian Amazon the other day in a thread on fish of that river. The true Neon is found in the Peruvian Amazon including parts of this river. Generally you would want very dim lighting, with floating plants. Sand or fine gravel substrate, chunks of bogwood and branches, leaves on the substrate. Here's a link to another series of photos on another tributary of the R. Ucayali:
Welcome to Martin and Toms Homepage
This is a slide show, I can't copy the photos, but if you click on the arrow in the upper right corner of the first photo it will continue with the series. The habitat water has a pH of 4.3, no hardness, no nitrate. It is a blackwater river, stained with tannins from the decaying vegetation.

Byron.

Sometimes it quite confusing my bad I should have used the scientific name.:oops:

Byron 10-04-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santaclaws (Post 850386)
Sometimes it quite confusing my bad I should have used the scientific name.:oops:

Not a problem. The habitat info is still relevant.:-)

redchigh 10-05-2011 04:48 PM

Agreed- Essentially-

No rocks. Use Driftwood for hardscape.
Place aquarium peat in the filter to provide tannins and stabilise PH. Use 1/2 - 2/3 distilled water if your tap water is too hard, or buy a RO unit.

For plants- Try a variety of mosses.

Do you want to match the actual species, or the appearence? Matching species that are nearby (but probably not actually with neons) you can try a variety of swordplants, and come stargrass, cabomba, ludwigea, or bacopa floating.

To match the appearance instead, I would use Vallisneria species and some small crypts (crypt wendtii 'green', or Crypt Willissi). Anubias Nana var Petit could bring the eye to the foreground, and looks like a terrestrial plant. (The amazon rises significantly in the wet season, so the fish would actually be swimming around terrestrial plants more often. Vallisneria, and Sag would mimic native grasses. Anubias is easy to grow and looks 'terrestrial' with it's waxy leaves.