Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Just put in dechloranator, how long should I wait before giving Bob her Medicine? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/just-put-dechloranator-how-long-should-82684/)

dormfish 10-03-2011 09:06 PM

Just put in dechloranator, how long should I wait before giving Bob her Medicine?

So one of my platys is sick. I recently put her in a quarantine tank. I just re set it up a short while ago and put her in it after letting it sit awhile. Question is, how long should I wait until putting in medicine, as the dechlorinatoer neutralizes it? The medicine is Jungle LifeGuard, if it's any help.

Thanks again.

GwenInNM 10-03-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dormfish (Post 849737)
So one of my platys is sick. I recently put her in a quarantine tank. I just re set it up a short while ago and put her in it after letting it sit awhile. Question is, how long should I wait until putting in medicine, as the dechlorinatoer neutralizes it? The medicine is Jungle LifeGuard, if it's any help.

Thanks again.

I've never heard of a water additive that removes harmful chlorine, has any effect on meds. Where did you get that info? What diseases does Jungle LifeGuard treat? What does your fish have? Didn't you think it was some sort of fin/tail rot?

Gwen

dormfish 10-03-2011 09:22 PM

LifeGuard treats an array of bacterial, fungal and parasitic infections. It's a broad spectrum med that dissolves in the water. Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong, but it says on the back of the box, "if overdose occurs, add carbon or dechlorinator as directed for immediate neutralization"

wannalearn 10-03-2011 10:50 PM

i believe that most ppl recomend at least 24 hours

k19smith 10-03-2011 11:10 PM

That is a new one to me also, but yes 24hrs is the correct time.

dormfish 10-04-2011 03:14 PM

Thanks, everyone. :) I did that and put in a tablet this morning. I came back this afternoon, and Bob is looking a ton better. What's better yet, is that a very knowledgeable fish-keeping pal of mine came around to take a look at her today, and says she has fin rot, not Ich. Phew. At least my other fish are safe, though I have just decided to treat the main tank one more time just in case.

Bob is resting up in the little tank I like to call "The Fishy E.R" and should be right at rain in a few days. I just want her to get a bit better before putting her back in with the others, so they won't pick on her, because she's sick.

So yes, many thanks. I am very happy that Bob is recovering well.

GwenInNM 10-04-2011 06:01 PM

Good to hear! I'll have to check next time I use meds if the brand talks about water conditioners impacting meds. Learn something new every day!

Gwen

k19smith 10-04-2011 08:59 PM

If it is fin rot I would do lots of water changes, the cleaner the water the faster she will heal and also helps prevent infection.