Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Article On Lighting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/article-lighting-82616/)

Santaclaws 10-03-2011 06:06 AM

Article On Lighting

Here is a very good article on lighting as I noticed a lot of questions on it Pat:-)Aquarium Lighting; Reef, Planted Light Information. PAR, Bulb, Watt, Kelvin, Nanometers, MH, LED.

wan2 learn 10-10-2011 12:53 PM

Ive read most of that but it doesnt compute im sorry to have to ask but can you tell me if i can get a... T8 30w 850mm flu tube or if i can put a 39w in this fixture ive been told the best thing to do is upgrade the whole thing to a 2 bulb fixture but i want to get a bigger tank in the next year
my current tank is 39"x16"x12" with ferns and anbias type plants and currently using a reptile bulb installed before i brought the tank afew mnths ago thabnks to all who myt help

Byron 10-10-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wan2 learn (Post 856880)
Ive read most of that but it doesnt compute im sorry to have to ask but can you tell me if i can get a... T8 30w 850mm flu tube or if i can put a 39w in this fixture ive been told the best thing to do is upgrade the whole thing to a 2 bulb fixture but i want to get a bigger tank in the next year
my current tank is 39"x16"x12" with ferns and anbias type plants and currently using a reptile bulb installed before i brought the tank afew mnths ago thabnks to all who myt help

T8 tubes come in lengths to fit the fixture; measure the existing tube end to end not including the prongs, and that is the size you look for.

Watts is meaningless because all tubes for that size will be the same, with one exception. Watts is simply the measurement of the energy used to produce the light. As an example, a 48-inch tube is 40 watts, and originally all 48-inch tubes were the same. But some manufacturers now make more energy-efficient tubes, using less energy (= lower watts) to produce more light. So some manufacturers make 48-inch tubes that are 32 watts, but produce light intensity equivalent to a 40 watt tube.

Rather than the watts, you want to get the best spectrum. Without going into this in depth [it was covered in that linked article anyway], suffice it to say that a daylight or full spectrum tube with a kelvin rating between 6000K and 7000K is usually going to be the best light for the plants, and for a true colour rendition in the aquarium.

A new tube in your existing fixture will likely make all the difference, depending upon the tube size and the plant species. I can expand on this if asked; I will need to know the tube length. Reptile lights are not going to provide the kind of light that plants will do best in.

Byron.

Tracy Bird 10-10-2011 04:50 PM

I received my 6500K ZOO MED Full Spectrum Daylight bulb today and installed same.

It certainly chages the mood of the aqaurium, very pretty... I can't wait to see the added benefit it will have for my plants.

Byron - thanks for putting what can be a complicated decsion into easy to understand posts. I really do enjoy reading your posts and have garned much information from same....

Byron 10-10-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy Bird (Post 857165)
I received my 6500K ZOO MED Full Spectrum Daylight bulb today and installed same.

It certainly chages the mood of the aqaurium, very pretty... I can't wait to see the added benefit it will have for my plants.

Byron - thanks for putting what can be a complicated decsion into easy to understand posts. I really do enjoy reading your posts and have garned much information from same....

You're very welcome. That tube will be fine. Photos...???;-)