Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Matching Water Test Samples to API Freshwater Master Kit Chart (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/matching-water-test-samples-api-freshwater-82588/)

Tracy Bird 10-02-2011 06:58 PM

Matching Water Test Samples to API Freshwater Master Kit Chart

Using an API FW Master Test Kit and I'm having a little trouble matching the water test samples to the chart, especially in High Ph test.

The lighting and background is obviously huge.

The directions are printed in 2-3 different languages (it's a little confusing flipping through the different pages and finding the information) so maybe I'm missing something in the instructions.

I've been trying to take the chart and the sample outdoors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

k19smith 10-02-2011 07:05 PM

The best way I've found is by a window with sunlight coming in but not direct sunlight and inside lighting gave me very false results. Maybe other members will an easier idea, it took me a few test to get used to using this kit.

Jbrofish8 10-02-2011 07:07 PM

Ive found that putting the tube over the white section helps. However, dont put the tube against the card directly, you will notice it changes the color a bit. So hold it out a few cm in front of the white card.

Romad 10-02-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k19smith (Post 848421)
The best way I've found is by a window with sunlight coming in but not direct sunlight and inside lighting gave me very false results. Maybe other members will an easier idea, it took me a few test to get used to using this kit.

Me too. I just get closest to a natural light source as possible. After a few times, you'll get the hang of it.

k19smith 10-02-2011 07:24 PM

I like this kit but honestly I think I've used other ones I like better, when I first got it I freaked out because I thought all my #'s had gone crazy. It kinda seems to be a lot of trouble, but it does get better the more you use it.

Tracy Bird 10-02-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k19smith (Post 848447)
I like this kit but honestly I think I've used other ones I like better, when I first got it I freaked out because I thought all my #'s had gone crazy. It kinda seems to be a lot of trouble, but it does get better the more you use it.

What are the ones you like better, easier to read?

zof 10-02-2011 07:49 PM

I don't know if its true for yours but my card for the API master test kit the colors for at least the nitrate test were a bit off, if you know someone else with the API tests you might compare cards just to make sure you didn't get a misprint.

k19smith 10-02-2011 07:55 PM

I used to use the Red sea test kit I don't remember it being this hard to read, it's been a few yrs since I've used it.