Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   OKAY! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/okay-8254/)

MegK 09-13-2007 02:20 PM

OKAY!

so this is my final decision:

going to make my 33 super awesome and then when i get my own place get my dream 75 with discus community

so now with my 33, instead of getting some "largest that can fit" i want to make it a pretty amazonian community somewhat

so far my new stocking im thinking to add 1 more peppered cory and 2 bronze, maying a total of 6 corys. and i wanted to add a trio of ottos

any other ideas :) me and my mom thought it would be cool to have a shoaling fish that will always stay together, any ideas?

Fat_Fender_40 09-13-2007 02:42 PM

If you're going with amazonian, try some cardinal tetras or neon tetras. Cardinals have the red stripe all the way down the body, while neons just have it on their bellies. Neons you can get at nearly any pet store, while Cardinals you may have to oder from Pet Solutions or Dr. Foster's.

Hatchet fish are good shoaling fish that stay at the surface of the water, just make sure that you have a lid on that tank.

Falina 09-13-2007 06:53 PM

A shoal of neons or cardinals like mentioned would be lovely.

To keep with the SA theme you could add a pair of rams or apistos maybe.

MegK 09-13-2007 07:09 PM

hm neons.. how many would be good? i kind want another shoal in there of something a bit bigger than a neon

i would hav to see about rams or apistos, it depends what i can find at the LFSs

Falina 09-13-2007 07:11 PM

Penguin tetras?

Depending on what other fish you have you could have 20-25 neons.

MegK 09-13-2007 07:17 PM

those are neat. how many do u think i could do with a the bottom dwellies and the neons?

Falina 09-13-2007 07:34 PM

If it were my tank:

6 cories
6 penguin tetras
12 neons
Pair of rmas/apistos

MegK 09-14-2007 06:02 AM

hmm i like Bolivian rams.

maybe a pair for those, with my corys, ottos and neons and penguins?

edit: actually, i kinda like tiger barbs, but i kno they have a tendency to be evil. how many would be safe with my other fishies?

Falina 09-14-2007 07:01 AM

They would be sagest with any fast moving fish. The problem I forsee is that the barbs are happiest, and least evil as you say, in larger numbers and you don't have room for a full school of them especially since thy are such active fish. Tiger barbs get bigger than a lot of folk seem to think.

Lupin 09-14-2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegK
hmm i like Bolivian rams.

maybe a pair for those, with my corys, ottos and neons and penguins?

edit: actually, i kinda like tiger barbs, but i kno they have a tendency to be evil. how many would be safe with my other fishies?

IMO, I'd stick with only neons and penguins when mixing mid dwellers with cories and otos. Tiger barbs seem to be risky to me regardless of their number. I'd never mix cories with notorious fin nippers to play it safe and they may as well be outcompeted for food considering tiger barbs know how to really pick everything well.