Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   90 gallon african cichlid stocking help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/90-gallon-african-cichlid-stocking-help-82518/)

kevinjung 10-02-2011 12:14 AM

90 gallon african cichlid stocking help

Hey this is my first african cichlid tank and I got a 90 gallon for them. The tank has been running for 3 months now and the inhabitants are 13 african cichlids, zebras, all different kinds. 1 Livingstonii, 1 featherfin catfish, 2 striped raphael catfish 7 synonditis petricolas and 1 four lined pictus

I was wondering can i put more cichlids in there?
It is decorated with texas holey rock and filtered with a fluval...for a 175 gallon tank. I know the filtration is supposed to be good but would i need to get an additional filter?.. thank you

1077 10-02-2011 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinjung (Post 847747)
Hey this is my first african cichlid tank and I got a 90 gallon for them. The tank has been running for 3 months now and the inhabitants are 13 african cichlids, zebras, all different kinds. 1 Livingstonii, 1 featherfin catfish, 2 striped raphael catfish 7 synonditis petricolas and 1 four lined pictus

I was wondering can i put more cichlids in there?
It is decorated with texas holey rock and filtered with a fluval...for a 175 gallon tank. I know the filtration is supposed to be good but would i need to get an additional filter?.. thank you

I would have two filters or FX 5 on this tank were it me.

rrcoolj 10-02-2011 09:35 PM

More filtration defiantly. I would invest in a good HOB like a aquaclear 110. Fill it with mechanical media and fill the fluval with bio media. IDk how "stocked" it is without knowing exactly what type of fish are in the tank. Could you maybe post pictures? How "stocked" it is is relative to type of fish and aggression level of the fish. As well as fish size and gender. That livingstoni is going to have to go. Not only do they get too big for that tank but they eat mbuna in the wild so keeping them with mbuna probably isn't the best idea.

kevinjung 10-02-2011 09:43 PM

stocking

Yes I will try to post some pics with my phone. Yes i know the livingstonii eats mbuna but research says mbuna fry not mbuna adults.
Also i will try to invest in another filter recommended for a 100 gallon.

Santaclaws 10-02-2011 10:16 PM

With 10 catfish Id say your overstock. Catfish are messy they crap a lot I would be doing water changes twice a week and vacuming.Yes with that many fish your going to need another filter I would also advise you to get a powerhead to blow the crap around so the filters can pick it up.:-)

rrcoolj 10-03-2011 04:07 PM

Livingstonii are also open water predators that should be ideally be kept in a 6ft tank. As for the cats yea there are defiantly too many. As the larger species grow you will run into major problems. Ditch everything but the petricola and you will be set.