Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Babies! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/babies-82505/)

deman3 10-01-2011 07:46 PM

Babies!

I have approximately 18 or so Kenyi's and I noticed and have been monitoring a holding female. Just a minute ago I saw a baby out near the momma. She is being very territorial which I understand is typical. She sucked the escapee back into her mouth and is still blatantly holding more. The baby i did see was roughly 1/8in long. Getting a breeder net tomorrow and I am going to attempt to sell them when they get big enough.

k19smith 10-02-2011 11:04 AM

I would not get a breeder net, all they are really good for is to stress your fish out, if you plan to raise them to sell you will have to have another tank. Plus a breeder net is way to small to leave your fish in.

Andarial 10-02-2011 11:17 AM

I agree about not getting the breeder net, the mama could get so stressed out she might end up killing herself by thrashing, I've had that happen once with my fish and that made me give up on breeder nets for good. Though I've never had a mouth brooder. Getting another tank would be the best idea, so I agree with K19smith, especially since you have such a big fish, depending on whether she is full size or not. Just assuming she's around 5-6 inches. CONGRATS by the way ^^

cdouglas2993 10-02-2011 12:53 PM

Speaking of just getting another tank.... would it be possible to put my preggo molly in my fry tank? At the moment it is holding 10 baby platies a little over a month old. Should I worry about her eating them? Or would it be safe to?

k19smith 10-02-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdouglas2993 (Post 848087)
Speaking of just getting another tank.... would it be possible to put my preggo molly in my fry tank? At the moment it is holding 10 baby platies a little over a month old. Should I worry about her eating them? Or would it be safe to?

At a month old they should/maybe fast enough to get away from her, but any slow ones will probably get eaten. You could divide the tank, probably safest bet. In my experience preggo's are extremely hungry all the time.

deman3 10-04-2011 12:04 PM

None of my fish look to be full grown. The mother is at best 4in. but probably more like 3.5. I have 2 males that are bigger than she is, one of which is the dominant male in the tank as he is the only male at full color. The other large male is yellow and blue. Before everyone goes preaching to me about multiple males in a 4ft tank I know all about it and will be selling the other males.

Should I put the fry in the breeder net once they come out of the momma? or will she still protect them when she spits them out?