Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Re-Stocking aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/re-stocking-aquarium-82478/)

Limeylemon 10-01-2011 12:16 PM

Re-Stocking aquarium

I've had a lot of illness in my tank recently, has resulted in my population of fish just about halving.
ITS ALL CLEAR NOW! :D
Once i have finished with the redecoration which will be in about a month i am considering adding new fish again.
I currently have 2 platy, 2 glass catfish, 1 honey gourami (lost his buddy during the plague) 5 guppies, 6 black phantom tetras and 3 corys.
(its a 34g)
What should i add, I'm thinking another honey gourami or 2 but not sure, and filling out the tetra shoal again. Is there any other fish, which would go good in a heavily planted tank (no plant eaters please)

any ideas? Weird and wonderful fish? Strange but don't grow more than about 5cm?

Christople 10-04-2011 07:07 PM

I think a african butterfly fish would be great,

1077 10-05-2011 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limeylemon (Post 847176)
I've had a lot of illness in my tank recently, has resulted in my population of fish just about halving.
ITS ALL CLEAR NOW! :D
Once i have finished with the redecoration which will be in about a month i am considering adding new fish again.
I currently have 2 platy, 2 glass catfish, 1 honey gourami (lost his buddy during the plague) 5 guppies, 6 black phantom tetras and 3 corys.
(its a 34g)
What should i add, I'm thinking another honey gourami or 2 but not sure, and filling out the tetra shoal again. Is there any other fish, which would go good in a heavily planted tank (no plant eaters please)

any ideas? Weird and wonderful fish? Strange but don't grow more than about 5cm?

Your water used for water changes pH,GH(general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness), should dictate what fishes will thrive in the water you can most easily re-produce without use of any chemical's or buffer's.
I think, given that recent illness was reported,that you are wise to wait a month before adding new fish.
You can use this time to research fishes that interest you, and see if they would be suitable for water you have.
Alway's easier to keep fishes that enjoy the water you have, than it is to adjust water to suit the fish.
The Honey gourami,tetra's,glass cat's ,all prefer neutral to soft water, pH 6.2 to 7.2 while the platy's need hard,alkaline water,pH 7.5 to 8.0 woulod be bout right.

Gourami prefer's warm, 78 to 80 degree's F while the other's you list prefer cooler temps 72 degree's to 75 degree's F.
Glass cat's ,also appreciate moderate current that tetra's and platy's would not mind too much, but Gourami prefer less current to near none.
Many thing's to consider if long term health of the fish you purchase is the goal as it should,, in my view be.
Otherwise,, we become simply collector's of fish that if they do poorly,or die,,we simply replace them.
Much easier to learn to keep fishes healthy for the long haul so we can enjoy them, as opposed to medicating/replacing them.
Not trying to admonish you in any way, or sell you anything,, just sharing my thought's that may or may not be of help .

Christople 10-05-2011 10:06 PM

If you would like to share, just start your own thread please, what is your pH

Limeylemon 10-12-2011 11:24 AM

My ph is 7.0, and i have barely any current in my tank, currently the filter output is pointing towards the back of the tank while my plants root in as it was knocking them out of the substrate.
I got the tetras in there before i thought about anything to do with water chemistry as i had them before. I would love to have more gouramis, they are gorgeous, I watch my one i have swim around the tank. Would be very interesting to watch them breed as all i have ever bred is guppys.

Christople 10-12-2011 11:29 PM

That post was meant for a different post, how did it get there?