Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How often do you buy fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-often-do-you-buy-fish-82394/)

KimJackson2005 09-30-2011 02:02 PM

How often do you buy fish?

How often and how many do you usually buy at a time? I can't seem to go into a pet store without buying atleast one fish so I only go once a week at th most.

gmate 09-30-2011 02:10 PM

Don't even get me started...

k19smith 09-30-2011 09:28 PM

If you count the eggs I got in the mail this week l bought about 60 fish.

KimJackson2005 10-01-2011 07:06 AM

OK you've got me beat. I didn't know you could buy eggs in the mail

Jbrofish8 10-01-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k19smith (Post 846644)
If you count the eggs I got in the mail this week l bought about 60 fish.

What kind of eggs?

I saw on aquabid where you can buy Killifish eggs, I'm confused as to what you do with these eggs? Do you put them in a grow out tank or what?

saint fu 10-01-2011 01:41 PM

When I was setting up my tank I usually bought fish once a week. Depending on the type of fish, I would usually get one, three, or five fish depending on the size and schooling of the fish. Now that I have a nice happy fish community I've moved onto plants. I'm usually buying two plants a week or so.

k19smith 10-01-2011 05:33 PM

You can buy killifish and rainbow eggs that I know of, I got rainbow fish eggs. Right now I have them in sandwich containers then when they hatch they will go into grow out tanks. It seems very convenient for people that have fish breeding but either don't have the room or time to grow them out. It was also much cheaper but it will be much more time consuming. These eggs are smaller than the tip of a pen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbrofish8 (Post 846953)
What kind of eggs?

I saw on aquabid where you can buy Killifish eggs, I'm confused as to what you do with these eggs? Do you put them in a grow out tank or what?

aunt kymmie 10-01-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmate (Post 846091)
Don't even get me started...

LMAO, me either!! Just when I think, "that's it, I'm done" something always catches my eye (and wallet).

gmate 10-01-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 847596)
LMAO, me either!! Just when I think, "that's it, I'm done" something always catches my eye (and wallet).

If I could go to my local fish store every day, I would. My LFS is at least 90 minutes away, and the nearest Petsmart (which is usually where I end up) is at least twenty minutes. About five years ago before I was into the hobby there was a massive local LFS about ten minutes up the road. Wish he was around now :(

aunt kymmie 10-02-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmate (Post 847604)
If I could go to my local fish store every day, I would. My LFS is at least 90 minutes away, and the nearest Petsmart (which is usually where I end up) is at least twenty minutes. About five years ago before I was into the hobby there was a massive local LFS about ten minutes up the road. Wish he was around now :(

The "good" LFS is approx. 45 minutes from my house and I'm thankful for that. It's the only place I purchase my fish and I try to avoid visiting too often. Everytime I go there, there is something that I simply must have, lol. I went last week and currently have a fish in QT I brought home that day that I'm "hiding" from my other half. If he sees it I'm going to get the typical, "And HOW much did you pay for THAT one???". He was out of town when I bought it and the QT is in the laundry room. I'm jumping on the laundry each and every time it needs to be done to avoid him from walking into that room. I'm soooo bad. :lol: