Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   omg how to clean (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/omg-how-clean-82370/)

wannalearn 09-30-2011 08:43 AM

omg how to clean

well last night i drained all the water and removed all plants and gravel from my planted freshwater tank, removed all filters, heaters, lights, ect.. cleaning it up and getting it ready for my future saltwater setup(so excited). and omg how to clean this crap. covered in hard water/calcium deposits. any suggestion on what to use.. fixin to try our steam mop lol. not that i am a complet newb, but have never had one this bad befor...

OddballFishCoveter 09-30-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannalearn (Post 845850)
well last night i drained all the water and removed all plants and gravel from my planted freshwater tank, removed all filters, heaters, lights, ect.. cleaning it up and getting it ready for my future saltwater setup(so excited). and omg how to clean this crap. covered in hard water/calcium deposits. any suggestion on what to use.. fixin to try our steam mop lol. not that i am a complet newb, but have never had one this bad befor...

My 40 gallon was badly covered in calcium and such as well. First I just rinsed it down with a hose and scrubbed of any looser calcium deposits with a soft-ish sponge. Then I used a ton of industrial CLR and scrubbed and rinsed it at least 5-6 times over two to three days, leaving some of the CLR to run down the sides and catch in a few inches of water at the bottom between days. Then I rinsed it extremely well and carefully, I think I hosed it down and filled it with water 6 times and used a different sponge to scrub it during each rinse. Be sure to use those powdered gloves, as CLR that strong will eat off your skin. And to emphasize... rinse very carefully... any leftover CLR will certainly kill any fish.

wannalearn 09-30-2011 09:14 AM

i was thinking clr... my main concern was just what you said.. and residual chemicals not being completley rinsed.. just paronoid i guess

OddballFishCoveter 09-30-2011 09:32 AM

Well, my 40 gallon has been up and running now for a few weeks, and I've had no problems. Just so long as you feel like you've sufficiently rinsed all the CLR off, I'm willing to bet the tank is safe.

Reefing Madness 09-30-2011 09:41 AM

Vinegar and water. I wouldn't use CLR. Let the vinegar sit on the bad spots,it will take it all off.

wannalearn 09-30-2011 09:46 AM

you know what,, should of thought of vinagar.. i have soaked shower heads in vinegar... thanks

Reefing Madness 09-30-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannalearn (Post 845884)
you know what,, should of thought of vinagar.. i have soaked shower heads in vinegar... thanks

:thumbsup:

OddballFishCoveter 09-30-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 845881)
Vinegar and water. I wouldn't use CLR. Let the vinegar sit on the bad spots,it will take it all off.

Genius, o.o wish I had known to use vinegar instead.

MetalArm3 10-01-2011 02:53 AM

I use LimeAway (same as CLR), it's the best/fastest way to make your tank look like new and save you all that time from scrubbing. It's not harmful to the fish when rinsed with water because the LimeAway evaporates with the water.

MetalArm3

Reefing Madness 10-01-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalArm3 (Post 846915)
I use LimeAway (same as CLR), it's the best/fastest way to make your tank look like new and save you all that time from scrubbing. It's not harmful to the fish when rinsed with water because the LimeAway evaporates with the water.

MetalArm3

And none of the chemicals in that gets into the glass?