Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   The dreaded question about Red Devil tankmates.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/dreaded-question-about-red-devil-tankmates-82361/)

yippee 09-30-2011 01:27 AM

The dreaded question about Red Devil tankmates..

Hello all. I have a Red Devil cichlid i grew out from a batch of eggs (got it where i work). I'd say he's probably 4-6 inches right now (I'm horrible with measurements, I'll try to get him to sit still by the tape measure tomorrow). He is in a 55 gallon tank right now, however I am moving my Tanganyikans out of their 100 gallon tank into a 125. I'll be using the 100 gallon (60x21x18) to move the Red Devil into since it won't be long before he outgrows the 55 gallon. Anyways, I'm curious for some general suggestions on what (generally) mix well with a RD cichlid or what you have kept with them. Keep in mind I'm just looking for general suggestions, I know every fish is going to have a different temperment and nothing is a guaranteed match. I am wanting to try to drop the new tankmates in when i switch over tanks so they have a chance to establish territories too.

A few fish I am interested in:
Green Terror
Blue Acara
Jack Dempsey
Convict Cichlid
etc.

1077 09-30-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yippee (Post 845731)
Hello all. I have a Red Devil cichlid i grew out from a batch of eggs (got it where i work). I'd say he's probably 4-6 inches right now (I'm horrible with measurements, I'll try to get him to sit still by the tape measure tomorrow). He is in a 55 gallon tank right now, however I am moving my Tanganyikans out of their 100 gallon tank into a 125. I'll be using the 100 gallon (60x21x18) to move the Red Devil into since it won't be long before he outgrows the 55 gallon. Anyways, I'm curious for some general suggestions on what (generally) mix well with a RD cichlid or what you have kept with them. Keep in mind I'm just looking for general suggestions, I know every fish is going to have a different temperment and nothing is a guaranteed match. I am wanting to try to drop the new tankmates in when i switch over tanks so they have a chance to establish territories too.

A few fish I am interested in:
Green Terror
Blue Acara
Jack Dempsey
Convict Cichlid
etc.

I have not found anything that mixes well with the Red devil.
Once the fish reaches 8 inches,, It could make life miserable for anything else in the tank.
Green terror and Jack dempsey look enough alike to each other to provoke frequent fight's among themselves and the Red devil would in all likelihood, join the fray to assert his/her dominance.
Blue acara also appears much like the Dempsey and green terror and these fishes would not get along for long in the tank unless lot's of places exist for fishes to hide,run to.
Tank in my view would be constant sparring fighting even in 100 gal as these fish matured.
Perhaps a divider could work and would be safe approach if fishes well being is of primary concern.

rrcoolj 09-30-2011 07:34 PM

Nothing... Fish should be kept alone it will claim the whole tank. I have a 6in midas male in a 125 and he runs the tank. He is housed with a female and a pair of cubans. These fish are extreely aggressive. Don't even attempt a community situation unless you have a 6ft tank.

Tiw 10-01-2011 02:10 PM

You might attempt the more aggressive New World Cichlids that get to at least the same size as the Red Devil, if not bigger, to even things out. But with that, you must be prepared to separate or have one or more aquariums ready to rehome the cichlids that cannot get along. Unfortunately, their personalities are just to individual to be able to make a positive statement about what can cohabitat with what. One can only make suggestions and hope with these fish. But their personalities and behavior make it worth it. I have seen one housed with convicts and the convicts were able to stand their ground without stressing all the fish out [which is unhealthy] but they were raised together and those convicts were psycho [or just mean enough] to think that they are Red Devils equal. Attitude and confidence are sometimes all a cichlid needs in order to rule a tank.