Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   Stocking list for 75g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/stocking-list-75g-82356/)

ladayen 09-30-2011 12:31 AM

Stocking list for 75g

We are moving next month and will finally be able to set up a salt water tank. We already got a tank that was listed as a 77g, and seems to be about that. It comes with some "live" rock but has been a freshwater tank for a couple years.

We are looking into stocking it with..

Flame Angel
Pair of Percula Clownfish

Those are a must unless for some reason it's not possible at all. We would also like, but would be willing to remove or change as necessary...

Some kind of goby
Bicolor Blenny (strong like)
Some kind of cardinal fish
Yellowtail damsels (these have to be kept in a small group I understand?)
Green Mandarin

Reefing Madness 09-30-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 845675)
We are moving next month and will finally be able to set up a salt water tank. We already got a tank that was listed as a 77g, and seems to be about that. It comes with some "live" rock but has been a freshwater tank for a couple years.

Flame Angel

Those are a must unless for some reason it's not possible at all. We would also like, but would be willing to remove or change as necessary...

Some kind of goby
Green Mandarin

Looks good. Some advice though. Mandarin are tough to feed, unless you get one that is already trained to eat mysis or sinking pellets, you have to feed the tank PODS. Damsels are verey ill tempered and once they get a foot hold in your tank they will chase your other fish around, and you will have a very hard time getting them out.
Just my 2 cents.

Pasfur 09-30-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 845675)

Flame Angel

Some kind of goby
Green Mandarin

The list looks good to me, with 2 exceptions. The Yellowtail Damsels could prove to be to aggressive, only because of your tank size. They are a small fish, yes, but they show much more aggression in tanks under 6 foot in length. I would stay away.

The Green Mandarin is a very bad idea. They are very difficult feeders, as mentioned, and are extremely susceptible to ich. This fish is just not one that most people should ever consider in their tank. Far to big of a risk.

ladayen 09-30-2011 01:36 PM

If i was going to have the flame angel and pair of percula clownfish.... what would you suggest to go with them? being new to saltwater I really want to do the proper research on the stock fish before it's time to put them in.... also with these fish is it better to do FOWLR or Reef or whatever? I would love input from those with experience.

Thanks Guys,
Ladayen's Wife :)

Reefing Madness 09-30-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 846022)
If i was going to have the flame angel and pair of percula clownfish.... what would you suggest to go with them? being new to saltwater I really want to do the proper research on the stock fish before it's time to put them in.... also with these fish is it better to do FOWLR or Reef or whatever? I would love input from those with experience.

Thanks Guys,
Ladayen's Wife :)

Your stocking list is sound, just remove thoes 2 fish. There are quite a few to still choose from.
Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

ladayen 09-30-2011 03:17 PM

Flame Angel
Some kind of goby

Ok with these fish.. how much more can I put in? Should any of these have more then one?

Reefing Madness 09-30-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 846102)
Flame Angel
Some kind of goby

Ok with these fish.. how much more can I put in? Should any of these have more then one?

You have room for a few more, the ones you have picked out won't get very big. You could get a couple more mid range size.

ladayen 09-30-2011 08:46 PM

Do all gobies need live sand to sift through to find food?

Reefing Madness 10-01-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 846522)
Do all gobies need live sand to sift through to find food?

They are by nature sand sifters.
Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Cooling Fans

Pasfur 10-03-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 846102)
Flame Angel
Some kind of goby

This is a 75 gallon tank, correct? Assuming you create an adequate structure of dry/live rock, helping to break up the territory, you have quite a bit more room for fish in this tank. I can not overstate the importance of having a good reef structure in your tank. Not necessarily corals, but of rock that recreates the natural environment these fish live in.

I would personally consider 4 fish the size & behavior of the Flame Angel and Clownfish. In fact, you could keep a pair of Flame Angels and a pair of Clowns. Throw in 6-8 carfully selected reef dwelling fish, and you are in great shape.

There is an article in our reference library that may help you:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ng-list-38579/