Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fiddler Crabs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fiddler-crabs-82313/)

Santaclaws 09-29-2011 02:09 PM

Fiddler Crabs

2 Attachment(s)
I am writing this here as I have been going though some tanks and seen fiddler crabs in some tanks please people these are not aquatic crabs yes some people have a piece of wood so they can climb out but how would you like it if you were stuck on a little island and could not go anywhere but water. Fiddlers need salt in their water. There is over 90 different species all are salt or brackish. If you have one in a fresh water it is going to die maybe not right away but it will die before it should.. They also need sand to make burrows as this is where they live when the tide gos out.These are close to my heart I find them funny and comical always waving their big claw around. Byron you can move this where you think it should go :-) a few pics of mine. If anyone needs help please pm me Pat

KendraMc 09-29-2011 02:15 PM

i have a few questions about these guys, maybe you can answer them for me. how specific are they about the salt content in the water? and how big of a tank do you need to have for them (assuming no fish)? are they something that could have a small tank (1 or 2 gal), sand hill against one side, brackish water on the other and be happy? or do they need something bigger? also, how many is it good to have together?

(i'll admit, i hadn't really thought about them til now, but they are cute. i don't see a profile for them here, and haven't looked anywhere else, but you sound like you know about them.)

Santaclaws 09-29-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendraMc (Post 845070)
i have a few questions about these guys, maybe you can answer them for me. how specific are they about the salt content in the water? and how big of a tank do you need to have for them (assuming no fish)? are they something that could have a small tank (1 or 2 gal), sand hill against one side, brackish water on the other and be happy? or do they need something bigger? also, how many is it good to have together?

(i'll admit, i hadn't really thought about them til now, but they are cute. i don't see a profile for them here, and haven't looked anywhere else, but you sound like you know about them.)

I have had mine for a couple of years I have always been fond of crabs and crays my girlfriends think I am weird.:lol::roll:You would need at least a 10 you have to have a heater either in the water or a reptile heater on the side of the tank.They are not that specific as long as its brackish up to to full salt. I keep 5 in a 20 they really dont fight they just run around waving their big claw around sometime they might push at each other but thats about it.It might be different if they were in small aquarium with a lot of them. I did once have a 30 gal long with guppies and crabs I just had it tilted so one side was sand. Hope this helps:-)

tfkeeper03 12-11-2011 12:50 AM

Me and my dad purchased 2 fiddler crabs and put them in our tropical fresh water tank. We also have other fresh water fish that have been thriving for several weeks. Our crabs lasted for about 4 hours before they died. In our tank we have 2 mollies, 1 catfish, 5 guppies, 2 Dwarf Gourami, and an inactive betta fish which hasn't harmed the fish in any way.We just want to know why the crabs died and if there was something that the crab needs, or didn't need? Also me and my dad looked up on fiddler crabs on other websites. We found that they would need some salt water and air/land to survive. We got the crabs at Walmart, because the pet sores had none for fresh water. The crabs were fully submerged in the fresh water with no salt water or land or air. We do not understand how they could have survived there, but not here. If you could give us some info on why they died that would be great. Thank you!