Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish Problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-problem-8226/)

Matty_808 09-11-2007 10:43 PM

Fish Problem

Hey everyone

juss one problem i need to know about.....for some reason iv noticed my fish arent growing liek my angels arent growing and neither is my catfish......a buddy of mine was saying iv stunted there growth due to the lack of water changes is that true and if so is there anyway of fixing the problem?

Lupin 09-11-2007 10:52 PM

There may still be a chance but I don't think your fish are likely to reach their potential sizes. Your buddy is right. First, what are your water parameters? I will expect your nitrates to zoom over 40's. In this case, start doing small water changes on daily basis. Gradually increase the percentage of water being replaced each day to prevent the fish from being shocked and killed by the sudden changes in their environment.

fish_4_all 09-11-2007 10:54 PM

Water changes could cause it. Lack of vitamins and/or minerals that would be found in the water. Food quality could do it, lake of variety and vegetables. Tank size could also do it and is the one I would look at first.

Angles prefer a lot more space to swim and like tall tanks.

What will help is the size of the fish. Especially the angles and catfish but also the CAE. There will be those that say it is overstocked but let's focus on getting information right now. Then we can decide if the fish are cramped and stunted due to crowding or not.

Matty_808 09-11-2007 11:04 PM

well my parameters are all 0 no nitrite and no ammonia at all everyhting is fine......im still very curious on how it could be due to the lack of water changes......the tank is only about 5-6 months old and ever since the nitrite and ammonia disappeared iv never had any case of it returning....hmmm very weird......i definatly due a water change about every week-week and half.....any more suggestions or if u need anymore info let me know....ill be glad to provide you guys with what ever u need thanks

fish_4_all 09-11-2007 11:17 PM

How big are all the fish?

Matty_808 09-12-2007 03:20 PM

my biggest angel is about 3inch length about 5 inch from top fin to bottom.....i have 1 that hasnt grown since i got it...and 2 others that grew alittle but havent since.....i got 1 1/2 inch swordtail...2 kuhlis about the same CAE's 4 of them 2 about 1 inch the others 2 inch.

Falina 09-12-2007 08:17 PM

It's very strange that all your parameters are at 0. You should have a reading for nitrate in a fully cycles healthy tank.

What kind of test kit are you using? The strips are usually very unreliable. Or if it's a liquid one, is it possible it's expired?

fish_4_all 09-12-2007 10:38 PM

Nice catch Julie, didn't even think about 0 nitrates being odd. What kind of test are you using?

Well right now the tank isn't "overstocked" so that isn't the problem. I am beginning to think it is a move from a large tnak to a small one. Is this the case? IF it then it oculd nothing more than acclimation by the fish. I am also aware of at least swordtails where the largest male will emit a chemical that stunts the growth of the other males. I don't know if it is true but if it is then I would imagine there is a chance that the same chemical could stunt the angels as a side effect.